Carrier question

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, May 12, 2022.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

So I recently traded into a 1962 Sweet receiver. I have all the parts from a 50 Sweet to assemble a complete gun or so I thought. The 50 had a one piece carrier. The 62 has the speed load or two piece carrier. The guy included half of the two piece carrier which does me no good. Will I be able to use the one piece or will I have to buy the other half?
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

And the pins suck versus the screws to hold the parts in the side of the receiver
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

What kind of trigger? Where is the spring at?
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

It’s a cross bolt but it doesn’t have anywhere to put the spring
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

He means what kind of trigger plate, and how is the carrier spring mounted. I think, it’s hard to tell sometimes.

I don’t see any reason for the one piece carrier not to fit.
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

If I remember right the one piece carrier needs to have the spring mounted on the receiver. Other wise he will need a different trigger plate and that spring
  7. Ranger6

The one piece could also have the cross bolt safety but still needs the spring mounted to receiver on the tits inside
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, I know that the 2-piece carrier works with the receiver mounted spring, because my 1957 was set up that way. So it’s likely that the 1-piece will work with the trigger plate mounted spring.

Hopefully the new receiver came with the trigger plate, otherwise there’s no way to mount the carrier spring at all.
  9. Ranger6

yep agree, however, his receiver don't have the post for the spring. And if I remember right the trigger plate doesn't have a place for it either, so think he has to order parts. Its workable, just those parts have all but doubled since I did the speed load conversion. I thought I had an extra 2 piece carrier, but all I can find is the old 1 piece. You use to be able to get the 2 piece for like 70 now they are 150 or more. Not sure who gets the blame Covid or Russia. Maybe the Pope.
  10. Ranger6

That speed load is a nice function. My gold has it also, the silver does not. Wonder if it can be converted?
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That’s what I meant when I said:

“Hopefully the new receiver came with the trigger plate, otherwise there’s no way to mount the carrier spring at all.”

All 1958 or later receivers need 1958 or later trigger plates.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

You guys sure know the Auto 5 better than me.

No place for the spring with the pieces I have. Looks like I’ll be dropping $300 on parts to make it work if I can’t find them on eBay.

I need the front of a 2 piece carrier and a cross bolt trigger guard with provisions to hold the spring.

I hate crossbolt safety’s but I am toying with the idea of getting another left hand safety and dropping this trigger assembly into my 47 Sweet so I get used to using one shooting clays this summer
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Or I just buy the trigger guard and use the one piece carrier. I prefer the early guns but I have to admit I am growing fond of the speed load feature
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Took the trigger guard out of my 20 gauge and dropped it in with the one piece carrier and it functions great
  15. Ranger6

It has the spring on the trigger guard correct?
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

17. Ranger6

Now just decide speed load or not?
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yeah probably get the trigger guard for now an watch eBay for a cheap 2 piece carrier
    Rudolph31 likes this.