Carrier Getting Stuck Creating a Problem with Speed Load Function

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by rcatastrophe, Nov 29, 2020.

1. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Installed it and there is significantly more spring extending past the boss it rides on. I can no longer press on the carrier and cause it to stay elevated or said another way, it no longer gets stuck in the up position.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Ok so I’m still troubleshooting. I’ve seen someone here give an extremely detailed description of the inner workings of the auto 5 when it’s cycling. I’m hoping to tap into that.

The speed load is still not working every time. I was correct that the carrier spring was a problem and that problem was fixed with the new spring but it wasn’t the primary problem with the speed load.

I took a careful look and then compared all the parts that are anywhere near the shell when it’s put in. I saw, and I don’t know how I didn’t notice this before, that the carrier is beveled and my shells are hanging up on the carrier because it isn’t down far enough. It’s only about 2mm but it’s enough for the base of the shell to press against the flat front of the carrier instead of being channeled by the bevel out of the magazine and up into the chamber. The tiniest pressure from a finger pushing up on the shell “helps” it find the bevel on the carrier and everything then does what it’s supposed to do.

Anyone ever seen this before? I can pull it down to where it’s supposed to be and there is some spring tension and it makes the bolt move back a mm or two when I do it. When I let go it goes back to that “too high” resting place.

3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Wish I had the answer for you but I’m clueless on the speed load
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Where did the new come from?
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

There is only a couple pieces that make it speed load. I don't remember(people at work are bothering me now), was this one speed load already? was it working fine before the spring issue?
    The carriers are not all the same, length and shape.
    The other important piece is the locking block latch. They are not all the same either, don't assume that someone didn't try to convert before you got it. The locking block latch does more then one job(see rudolph31 post)
    Essentially that's it. I have had issues with the cartridge stop also.
    If I am reading your post correctly, if you apply a little downward force to the carrier it does what its suppose too? if so the spring that you just put in is what keeps the tension on the carrier.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  6. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

I bought it from Art’s

7. Ranger6

Ok then it should be good. May require a little fitting.
  8. Ranger6

Maybe post a picture with shell in there, so we can see what’s going on. It’s hard to see what your seeing by reading. And hard to describe so we can understand. Seems like the spring isn’t doing it’s job 100% of the time. Did you have the locking block latch out or the cartridge stop?
  9. Ranger6

the new spring looks pretty good, might be a little long, and don't quote me just yet but I think there should be a beveled edge on it, I will have to look at one when I get home. How tight are you putting the screws that hold the carrier? They shouldn't be tight like a regular screw. The lock screws keep them from turning
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  10. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Today was a slow day so I experimented. To answer an earlier question I have no idea what was done to this gun before I got it. The story was it had belonged to a guy who’d killed many an upland game bird with it.

I sat down and took both this one, the ‘55, and the ‘61 apart so I could start comparing parts. I installed the carrier from the ‘61 in and played with it. If I put a shell in gently it would get hung up.

So everything is back together now with all the correct parts in the correct gun. I just fed 25 into the ‘55, just playing with it and 24 did what they’re supposed to do. I’m gonna call it good. I’ve shot it and it shoots well. More recently I put a rebuild kit from Art’s in so now I just need to go shoot it again. I’ve got a new toy on the way from Atlas Traps so it’s going to get a lot of action pretty soon. Let’s call this one done.

11. Ranger6

One other thing to remember is that it may be the shell. Some of my older ones, like certain ammo and work great with it and others not so much. My 1909 don’t like federals at all. Will jam and act all stupid. Use another brand and it’s fine. It really likes reloads and Rst.
    And auto 5’s are manly guns. No need to baby it.
  12. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

So I had the opportunity to get this one out for some shooting. First couple shots went great. Then jam city. Shells wouldn’t load easily using speed load and after I emptied it I stopped using it due to the difficulties getting it to load. Once home I tried to release the bolt while taking it apart and the carrier release button wouldn’t budge. Broke out the screwdrivers and took it apart from the bottom. Upon getting the carrier assembly out I could move the bolt so I knew something had to be binding up and I figured it had to be the carrier latch. So I took that out. It’s all burred up right in the area where it needs to slide against the carrier when the button is pushed. Going against everything smart I put it back together and then back out to shoot the following day. Disaster. It rode home with two shells stuck above the carrier. This gun needs work.

Work is going to bring me to MO this year soon and if I rig things to fly into St Louis I’ll be spitting distance from Art’s. Guess what will be in tow.

Kinda pissed that I spent money on a broken gun but I’m gonna make lemonade out of this lemon. I really like the weight of this Sweet Sixteen with its plain barrel so unless things change or I learn I can’t it’s gonna get a full redo from Art’s and then I’m gonna get it threaded for chokes at Briley since I’m in Houston.

13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The. Carrier Latch is a weak point in the design. The good news is the new part will “drop in”. I’d try that before taking it to Art. Although, while you’re here, you might want to go there anyway. It’s an hour drive.

Here is Art working on my Light Twelve. I tried to adjust my Carrier Latch and couldn’t do it — and neither could he after I’d already bent it up. So he replaced it.
    [​IMG]
  14. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Rudolph, thanks for the feedback. I’ve ordered a new carrier latch and I’ll see if it helps. It should do something, considering how mangled up this old one is. Here’s a few photos to show what it looks like and then I also want to show the carrier dog to see if it looks too worn and maybe in need of replacement. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Ranger6

from my experience bending it only last a little while, do yourself a favor and replace it. That carrier dog should be fine.
  16. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Thanks Ranger. It was only $20 so I went ahead and ordered one after taking another gun apart and comparing them. So this gun will have a lot of new parts once I get this order. New friction pieces, action spring, recoil spring, carrier latch, and carrier dog. In about a week I’ll be back on this thread to report. [​IMG]

17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Seeing them side by side, your old dog does look worn. It grabs hold of the operating handle when the gun cycles, which allows the bolt to go just far enough forward to unlock from the barrel. If you weren’t having problems with the bolt slamming closed when it should stay open, the dog was doing its job.

But if you’re going to change it out, be careful. There’s a powerful spring in there. Wear eye protection.
    rcatastrophe likes this.
  18. Ranger6

The good thing about all those new parts is there won’t be much else to do, and it should outlast your life time. I have also done ejectors and extractors. Keep in mind that if it’s an old one then the shells of today are different then they use to be and sometimes just changing type makes all the difference
  19. Ranger6

I figured this out after my sweet 16 had problems ejecting shells. Pulled it apart and found the extractor was really dull. I replaced it with a new one and off to the range. Firing new game loads and it worked properly. Loaded some old paper shells and it damaged the brass of the shell. Pulled it apart again and put the old one back in, back to the range, the old paper shells looked fine and things worked properly. Tried some new shells and it would not eject them. I measured the two different shells and found some small differences. The biggest difference was the rim of the different shells.
    I have a gold that will eat anything, I have a new silver that won’t even cycle with browning ammo. Go figure.
    I was always told a shotgun is like a woman. Figure out what she likes to eat, then feed it to her.
    win7stw likes this.
  20. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Finally had a chance to get this gun back out for some shooting and it’s functioning flawlessly. Never could get that carrier dog pin hammered out and couldn’t find anything on the internet to help with something I had to be missing. I bought a new carrier from Art’s, it went right in, and after a few stiff manual cycles it seemed like all would be fine. Put a half dozen shots through it today, not a lot but enough to make me confident all is well.

Rudolph31 likes this.