Calling the experts

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Jun 22, 2019.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Do you guys think this has been refinished? It’s too bad the stock has been cut. Not sure if I can resist this beauty. What do you guys think it’s worth?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It doesn’t look refinished to me. The markings appear washed out on refinished guns. And the blue is the right color. Collector value died with the stock, so although it’s a nice 1946 or ‘47 “Stealth Sixteen”, its main value is as a shooter.

If it fits you and is choked appropriately, $500-$600.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks for the info. It’s has a 25” barrel that is choked I.C. The guy wants $700 plus shipping. It’s a consignment gun and there isn’t much wiggle room supposedly. I want it but not bad enough to pay 700
    Mark Weber likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I can’t tell from the pictures that the stock has been cut. If it hasn’t, $700 is not unreasonable for that gun, especially since it’s choked IC.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I think it has the butt plate is oversized. I will get a LOP. Where the solid ribs common on these?
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Down here in Texas 700 is average price if you can find one. I looked at a 16 in good condition and guy wants 900. Stock has not been cut. If that one has it’s not worth 700, however, someone will pay that for it and if you want one you will most likely pay close to that price for a worse condition and may have to deal with full choke
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Not common. By the way, the solid ribs are hollow.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Interesting I figured they were solid. I prefer a longer barrel but I might have to buy it.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

On Brownings, the longer the barrel the tighter the choke. Your best bet would be to find the length you want and have screw-in chokes installed.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’m not sure chokes would help me a lot. I might pick up an extra bird or two while shooting clays. I have a feeling when I miss it’s by feet, not inches
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, if you’re shooting Skeet, an IC choke will give you a 30” pattern at around 20 yards. A full choke’s pattern will be 15” at the same distance. It’s a lot more fun when you hit.
    win7stw and Ranger6 like this.
  12. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I agree. Chokes are better then sliced bread. It’s much better to shoot skeet with a skeet choke. For that matter, with chokes you can match the choke to the shooting occasion. I had brileys put chokes in my LC Smith and wow what a difference from the full choke barrel. It has made the second best gun ever made, in my book, a fun shooter. And boy does it turn heads when it smokes those clay birds. If you have chokes put in by a good place, you won’t regret it if your gonna use it. If your gonna just look at it then it won’t matter.
    win7stw and Rudolph31 like this.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I use my guns. What I was getting at is I’m an average shooter. I do like the ability to change chokes however I can’t get that I.C. barrel out of my head. I might have to do buy it. I bought the last two “X” prefix guns to give to my boys when they are old enough. They might have to have matching Sweets and I’ll take the standard.
  14. Ranger6

Well if they don’t take you up on the offer, I’m old enough and could call you dad for a long time. I can send my address. No really, I hope to pass mine down also.
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Ha I think I’m good with two kids. I hope my boys will appreciate walnut and blued steel as much as I do.
  16. Ranger6

I’m sure they will. That’s how it all started for me. Very first gun I ever shot was a 1936 12 gauge, it was my great grand dads. Needless to say it knocked me on my butt. I can still hear my grand dad laughing.
    I don’t recommend that for any new shooter now days, but that was the way I guess you got broke in back then. Anyway never hesitated to shoot another after that. Got a single shot 410 the next day from my grand dad. Hell I couldn’t even hold it to my shoulder. Long story short I still got that 1936. And it shoots like a new one. Killed a many rabbits, squirrels and grouse.
    win7stw and jlp like this.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Got some more info on the gun. All serial numbers match. Stock hasn’t been cut. It has a 12 gauge pad on it that’s why it looks big. It has the three holes in the barrel ring and two holes drilled in the stock. Wish this one would have been available before I bought the other two x prefix guns I just bought
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Why, do you think three is too many? I’ve got a baker’s dozen. And an early Remington version.
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I don’t think three is too many. It’s my wife that thinks three is too many. She claims 4 Citoris, 2 A5’s, and 5 BPS’ is too many shotguns. That’s not counting the half dozen or so non Browning shotguns.
  20. Ranger6

you sir need to get her into shooting. It’s much easier to buy them when momma is on board. Of course don’t ever tell her that