Buck Mark barrel cleaning

Discussion in 'Browning Mark Handgun' started by Henry Meier, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Henry Meier

Henry Meier .22LR

On the Buck Mark, when the Slide is removed can the barrel be cleaned starting from the chamber end?
    Instead of removing the barrel.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Sure, the barrel isn't difficult to remove. I always clean from the chamber end on everything. Welcome to the forum by the way.
  3. Henry Meier

Henry Meier .22LR

Clarification. The barrel can be cleaned from the chamber end without removing.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Maybe this will help you out.
  5. Henry Meier

Henry Meier .22LR

Great video. Thanks.
    Missed it on Youtube.
  6. Ranger6

Very welcome sir. Glad to see you, thanks for returning with that update.
  7. Henry Meier

Henry Meier .22LR

I have been trying to identify the cleaning rod used in the Video, looked thru many suppliers with no luck.
    It appears flexible and maybe coated.
    Do you or anybody might know what it is?
  8. Ranger6

9. Henry Meier

Henry Meier .22LR

Thanks. Will keep that Site as source for supplies.
    I expect to use the Cable on MK111 also.
  10. Ranger6

welcome sir, when I did a goggle search there were several, just looked like a nice one to me. Heck, you may want to check Amazon also.
  11. Alpha1

Alpha1 .410

Ruger makes a nice cleaning kit with bronze brushes and rods. My advice is not to use a snake. If you can by a inexpensive bore scope do so.

Update on my modified mags for the 1911-380. I have four modfied mags. Shooting yesterday with over 75 rounds. About the
    30th round one failed to feed and I ejected it. All of the rest of the rounds fired properly and the receiver locked open at each emtpy mag. The more rounds I fired the better the gun felt. I shoot at 30 yards and 90% of my rounds have to be in the kill zone or back to the range I go. I like my 380 so much I am going to buy the Medallion Pro model.
  12. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

I have the medallion Pro. You will love it.

Perhaps you could do a favor and copy the above post of yours to add to one of the existing posts on the 1911-380 sub forum? Most people will be looking for the subforum(s) that "fits" the gun(s) they have and could easily miss this helpful post of yours. Thanks!
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
  13. Henry Meier

Henry Meier .22LR

I finally received my Buck Mark Standard. Found the problem trying to clean the bore as shown in the Video.
    Typical cleaning jags, brushes & patch holders are 2" long and too long for placing in the cavity between the chamber & bolt.
    Those items shown in the Video are considerably shorter. I was able to cut and tediously thread a patch holder down to about 1.25" long for fitting properly.
    I searched many suppliers and could not find commercially available short patch holders, etc.
    Can anybody find where they may be purchased?
  14. Gary Panzer

Gary Panzer Copper BB

15. Gary Panzer

Gary Panzer Copper BB

Did you find source for shorter jags and bore brushes
  16. Henry Meier

Henry Meier .22LR

No. Have not find source for short patch loops or brusshes.
    I fabricated one from Brownell's Brass Loop for cleaning patches. Even though the stem if undersize I was able to cut decent threads.
    Ended up with a length of 1 7/16". Marginal fit between Buck Mark chamber and bolt.
    Works also for Ruger Mark 111.
    Tried cutting a short brush but it falls apart.
  17. Henry Meier

Henry Meier .22LR

The short patch loop tool works well also on the Marlin 39.
    I insert the tool nose first into the chamber with a dry patch then apply Hoppes #9 on the patch.
    This could be a good tool for somebody to market except that the demand would probably be to low.
  18. Alpha1

Alpha1 .410

This is an update on my just received 1911-380 Compact Pro. Have a 1911-380 also but not a Pro. Out of the very nice molded box, two mags, and lock. Next step was to disassemble clean and lube. Also reworked the mags to my previous posts, that is modified the mag spring so that only the diameter of the spring is exposed (.031). Lightly lubed the follower. You should feel no resistance pushing the follower down with your thumb. Next, installed full length recoil rod, no buffer pad, and new recoil spring from a non-Browning source. New spring is same wire diameter but about .250 longer. Went to the gun range this morning and fired over 6o rounds using Sellier and Bellot, an ammo that I prefer. Target was at 21 feet, I fired all rounds without letting the gun cool down much, 95% of the rounds were center mass. Not one FTF, no miss fires or any other issue. The gun was absolutely flawless and I am impressed. The receiver always locked open after the last round, all firing was done with 8 rounds in the mag using auto loader. Reworking the mags costs nothing, just a little patience. As to the full length recoil rod...I have no idea if it is better that the supplied short rod. Just something I prefer for 1911's.