BROWNING MODEL 1885

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by SHOOTER13, Sep 6, 2012.

1. djh

djh .22LR

Hunt 1415,

The B-78 was made in a High Wall in 243 caliber but are very very hard to find. I have not seen one in years.

The model 1885 in 243 was only made in a Low Wall model.

djh
  2. Charlieb68

Charlieb68 .22LR

Is the only difference between an 1885 and the b78 the stock? I seem to recall that the entire trigger mechanism is different, as well as a trigger pin on the 1885. I have to say I like the cheek piece on the B78 stock.
  3. Seth

Seth Copper BB

Mine evidently had been sitting unused for quite a while, and the lubrication had gotten a little sticky. A little cleaning and application of new lubrication seems to have solved my problem.
  4. Burnt Beans

Burnt Beans Copper BB

Has any one ever re-barreled an 1885?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Burnt Beans !!

As for your question...I have no experience with re-barreling any firearm...sorry !
  6. Burnt Beans

Burnt Beans Copper BB

I think I want a 38-55 and they can be hard to find. So I thought if I found a good buy on another caliber I would just have a barrel made for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Sounds like a plan...let us know how it turns out !!
  8. Wyoming Star

Wyoming Star Copper BB

Hi everyone. New to the forum, but I had loading questions on my 1885. I have the Browning limited edition " Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation " and have been shooting it with open sights. I am using 37 grains of IMR 3031 over a 400 grain JSP and I am shooting 8" high at 100 and am having trouble getting it down. I do have the Leupold mounts and rings and have thought about scoping it.
    Any suggestions for me to try ?
  9. Wyoming Star

Wyoming Star Copper BB

It is a 45-70.
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Wyoming Star !!

Post a picture of that limited edition 1885 when you find the time...
  11. Wyoming Star

Wyoming Star Copper BB

Will try get a pic to come up, so let me know what you think. This is before I bought it and the guy took the scope off it. I do have the mounts and etc. Browning 1885 #3.jpg Browning 1885 #1.jpg

Thanks
    Hairtrigger and SHOOTER13 like this.
  12. Wyoming Star

Wyoming Star Copper BB

Browning 1885 #4.jpg More pics of my 1885 Browning 1885 #2.jpg
  13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

A beautiful specimen indeed...and you can't go wrong with a Leupold scope !
  14. shooter69

shooter69 Copper BB

1885 with scope (1).jpg Picked this up about 2 years ago. Fine shooter. 45-70 hunter.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  15. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum shooter69 !!

Enjoy our community !!
  16. bighorn1

bighorn1 Copper BB

b78.jpg
    Gentlemen.... I need help. I recently acquired a B78 30-06, oct barrel. I refinished and mounted my scope. Visa

Sorry guys...I will attempt to finish. I have attached a pic of a unit I just acquired. It has since been finished and I have mounted my scope.Look at the level of the rings. Do you notice an issue. My scope
    is canted forwarded noticeably. Would this be normal? I am thinking no ?
    Your opinions please..
  17. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Looks wrong to me too Bill...I would swap them out ASAP.
  18. Surveyor

Surveyor Copper BB

I am new to the Browning 1885 45-70 and have immediately run into scope, sight base, eye relief issues. I currently have Leopold medium height bases and rings and a Leopold 4x scope in it. At this point, I am having problems with eye relief- I cannot see the full field of the scope. Also, I have to raise my head above the stock to see the scope at all. With medium rings, I am already having trouble cocking the hammer- thumb gets caught between scope and hammer. SLOW. My gunsmith suggested low scope rings in order to keep my head down. A scout scope wont work and the traditional Leopold scope wont work. I am thinking that its almost better to remove the scope and get some type of receiver sight (ladder/peep) that mounts into the rear scope base holes. I cannot be the first person to run into the problem. Help!
  19. Surveyor

Surveyor Copper BB

20. Surveyor

Surveyor Copper BB

Perhaps reverse that front mount, move the scope to the rear and find some type of leather cartridge carrier that will raise the comb?