Browning Double Auto

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by Rudolph31, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Bruski

Bruski .410

No limits here as to number. Some limits on capacity and/or actions.
    Shop in question has another D.A. but as rough as.
    May check choke on that (plain barrel so hoping maybe skeet) and see about a total price.
    Receiver looks to be alloy so could create a hybrid gun with all the best parts.
    (This may mark me with the number of the beast).
  2. Auzzie

Auzzie .270 WIN

Hey Bruski. Price is sounding better all the time. I would still be brazen and offer dealer $ 800 of your hard earned Kiwi coin. He won’t be selling any of it it that easy.
    If it is going to be a regular shooter on Clays n skeet at the range go the steel receiver as the extra weight lessens the recoil a bit and they swing evenly with more balanced weight between the hands. The alloy ones be nice to carry as a hunter and look great but they are bit light and whippy for my liking. A cutts on the barrel can also make them handle better if it feels tail heavy. And it looks period cool too.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  3. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

If anyone is looking or needing an extra Twelvette barrel (or two), I found a couple for sale in a gun shop in Pekin Illinois. (Just the barrels.) I didn't look to see what choke they were, and both were in pretty good condition, priced at about$250 or so.

Just in case someone was looking.
  4. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Info:
    There are two double-Auto's for sale on a local website ("Zidaho"), a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge.
    One is listed at $850, the other at $650 and I don't remember which one was which.

Just throwing it out there..................
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie .270 WIN

Thanks for posting this Bill . Not much ever gets put on site about double autos. I like them though. Always good to know what’s around DA wise on your side of the big pond , how much and where it might be good to go shopping sometime.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don’t think they ever made a 20 gauge DA. They DID make a light version called a TWENTY WEIGHT. Supposedly as light as a 20. I’m not sure how the barrels would differ.
  7. Auzzie

Auzzie .270 WIN

The Twelvette same deal but supposed to be lighter than a 16.
    Difference between a heavier Standard and the Twentyweight with same barrel spec roughly 1 lb 8 oz
  8. Bruski

Bruski .410

May have to revive this thread as am looking at a sweet twelvette. Butt ugly recoil pad and as yet unknown choking.
    Time will tell. (Still have the butt plate on the bookend so that will be able to make things look good).
  9. Bruski

Bruski .410

Dragged a couple of pictures up, any advise about markings or general comments welcome. 1719696892.jpg 1719697134.jpg
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Looks like a nice gun. The picture is a little too fuzzy to make out the choke. But one star is full, two is modified, and 3 is cylinder. A dash is improved. So IC would be **-.
  11. Auzzie

Auzzie .270 WIN

Hey Bruski,
    That looks a reasonable piece. The vent rib barrel is fairly rare not that many made especially if it’s a 30”. The channel or as I call them horseshoe rib if you see them is also very sought collectable people chase.
    Bit of length and weight up front make it handle good. If price is right and functions ok be good fun gun.
    Check the forend fit, pin and latching tension if loose or any movement. If loose adjust or fix before blazing away otherwise it splits the forend wood.
    Hope it finds a new owner
  12. Bruski

Bruski .410

It did...just wasn't me.
    Ahh well when one door closes...