Browning Buck Mark missing recoil spring retainer - okay to

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Trou' started by RipCity, Oct 7, 2012.

1. RipCity

RipCity Copper BB

Hey Guys, let me start by saying that any input on this topic is greatly appreciated. Last night I stripped my new Buck Mark for the first time. As I lifted the guide rod/recoil spring assembly out, it exploded everywhere. It appears that the recoil spring retainer (C-clip) was either not installed, or failed during disassembly. I have found all parts except for the retainer, and will be ordering a few from Browning.

My question is, in the mean time, are there any adverse effects to shooting it without the recoil spring retainer? My initial thought is "no" because the guide rod will still be in proper position due to the buffer and back post. Or should it not be fired with the spring making direct contact to the buffer? What do you think?
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Re: Browning Buck Mark missing recoil spring retainer - okay

hey RipCity, welcome to the Browning Owners Community!! i dont own a BuckMark personally but looking at a couple of illustration of the C-clip your talking about, it seems that it probably wouldnt do any damage as it seems it is used to hold the spring and guide in one piece. However i am not sure if without the C-clip it causes more play in the spring or the guide. if you can i probably would just wait for the new c-clip to arrive.

BTK
  3. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Re: Browning Buck Mark missing recoil spring retainer - okay

hey RipCity, welcome to the Browning Owners Community!! i dont own a BuckMark personally but looking at a couple of illustration of the C-clip your talking about, it seems that it probably wouldnt do any damage as it seems it is used to hold the spring and guide in one piece. However i am not sure if without the C-clip it causes more play in the spring or the guide. if you can i probably would just wait for the new c-clip to arrive.

BTK
  4. Average American

Average American Copper BB

I see this is an old post but apparently this is not an isolated issue. My Hunter is from @2018 and it did not have the retaining c clip OR it broke and I never saw it. Fast forward and while my first cleaning it went fine so overconfident, the next time it humbled me by sending the spring into orbit. I wound up ordering the whole piece (plastic part, rod and spring), not just the spring. Well that didn't come with a clip either! Was this eliminated on newer models? For the record, while I have had FTF's being it is a 22, but I think recently I've gone through a few hundred rounds of CCI Mini-Mags without a hiccup. Perhaps it is breaking in and getting more reliable. Again, that is all without the clip. I am thinking of seeing if I can find a small clip at the hardware store that will fit into the pocket and hold in place. I don't mind buying a new one but for a part that either is missing or are fragile enough to break, for $5 (plus shipping of course) they put like 5 or 10 in the bag? Just a thought.... Great gun though. Shoots sweet.