Browning auto 5 looking for information on factory engraving

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Dustin0987, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Dustin0987

Dustin0987 Copper BB

I have a browning auto 5 my grandfather gave me. He doesn't really
    have any information on it. The gun has serial number on it.

70G

The gun has a lot of engraving on it. I wasn't sure if that was
    factory engraved or not. The barrel has lot of markings on it attached
    in the pictures. IMG-9363.jpg IMG-9364.jpg IMG-9363.jpg IMG-9364.jpg IMG-9367.jpg IMG-9365.jpg IMG-9369.jpg IMG-9370.jpg
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Beautiful gun looks like it was made in 1970. One of the experts here will be along shortly.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello Dustin and welcome.

70G makes it a Light Twelve made in Belgium in 1970. The engraving doesn’t look like any of the factory “Types”, but more like the scenes done by Japanese artists. A lot of guns purchased in a PX overseas came home engraved like that. I’m guessing your grandfather was stationed in Japan in the 70’s?
  4. Dustin0987

Dustin0987 Copper BB

Yes, he was in Japan around than. So do you think they mass produced that type? Does it hurt the value?
  5. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

It is a beautiful A5! (Come to think if it, I have never really seen an ugly A5, but you know what I mean...)
    I wouldn't say "mass produced". I would say it was relatively common back then, over there. I have seen a few over the years with a very similar engraving pattern. Belgian A5s had a somewhat limited engraving dynamic, usually referred to as Grade 1, Grade 2, and so on. There were custom one-of-a-kind guns made, and after you become familiar with the different grades (and their respective minor variations within each grade) something like yours is "refreshing". I would like to see a few Japanese guns side by side to compare the differences between them.

(Edit due to fat-fingered the send key.)
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  6. Dustin0987

Dustin0987 Copper BB

If you don't mind me asking, was it like a catalog he chose from or a custom engraving?
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, if your grandfather is still alive you can ask him. But my guess is he saw a buddy’s gun in the barracks and asked him where he got it. The local artist probably charged by the bird.

The gun is priceless, or should be — to you. Others may pay a small premium but it’s not really a collector piece since it’s not “factory”. But it is a beauty.
  8. Dustin0987

Dustin0987 Copper BB

The gun is priceless to me. Should I shot it?
  9. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Has it been shot since it was engraved. or possibly even before that?
    Personally, if it has been shot, I would probably shoot it maybe a round or two of trap or sporting clays, something like that. Shooting a couple of boxes through it won't affect to outside--as long as afterwards it is properly cleaned and stored. If you decide to shoot it, just be extremely careful and don't bang it up against anything or rub up against something to scratch the bluing (or wood).

If it hasn't been shot---well then, it might get a little more complicated. I wouldn't shoot it if it has not been fired. Not one round.

If you are unsure if it has been fired....................then it is entirely up to you and what you want to do. As far as value, if it hasn't ever been shot, shooting it will lower its value a considerable amount. If it has already been fired, its value won't change if you fire it again. If you don't know if it has been, I am certain a person well versed in A5s would be able to tell you one way or the other.
    Since it is an heirloom, I would clean it, put a good coat of some type of preservative (oil) on the outside, and hold it in your hands, remembering HOW you got it, and WHO had it before you.
    I inherited my father's guns. I would sell my kids before I would sell any of his guns.

Merely my personal opinion. But what do I know?.....
  10. Dustin0987

Dustin0987 Copper BB

My grandfather always said a gun is meant to be shot. Not knowing the value or history I did fire 10 rounds in it and cleaned and oiled it afterwords.
  11. Dustin0987

Dustin0987 Copper BB

Great info, I personal am perplexed on what I should do with it. Thank you
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

If it were my gun, I’d shoot it and remember my grandfather. That sounds like what he intended, for you to enjoy it.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I'd make sure the friction rings are set correct and shoot it
  14. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Shoot the shit out of it. Probably not something your gonna sell anyway, considering the history. Never really cared much for a gun you don’t shoot, or a car you don’t drive. What’s the purpose???