Browning A5?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Terry Z, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Terry Z

Terry Z Copper BB

Hey all. I have recently acquired what looks like a Browning auto 5 with a date code of "d" which means either 1925 or 1965. I was told by the previous owner that it had been in the family since 1925 BUT the shotgun also has a controller of proof codes mark of "H*" which seems to only have been used from 1938-1968. BUT the serial number of 73XXX puts it pre WW2. This confuses me.

Also, did John Browning allow FN to make the A5 and market and sell it as an FN gun in Europe? The name Browning only appears in the patent information. Aside from that, Browning appears nowhere else on the shotgun.

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give.
  2. kumpe

kumpe .410

Browning is normally only mentioned in the patent on FN guns.

The serial number points to 1925. Check out this page;

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=216472

The proof mark is a bit confusing. I assume you have matching numbers on the barrel and receiver? Could you attach a photo of the proof marks?
    Terry Z likes this.
  3. kumpe

kumpe .410

Had a look at my 1928 Auto-5 (date code g) and it also has a H* proof mark. Either we are both interpreting it wrong or the info on Belgian proof marks is wrong.
    Terry Z likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

In 1965 the “d” would be underlined. And controller info is sketchy at best. The serial number confirms 1925 — if it’s a 12 gauge. Also, except for the barrel markings, Browning imports were identical to World Market guns until the mid 1930’s.
    Terry Z likes this.
  5. Terry Z

Terry Z Copper BB

Thanks for the responses. I’ll post pics in the morning for more clarification.

Again, I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Terry Z

Terry Z Copper BB

[​IMG]

Here is the pic. Hope the resolution is good enough to be able to make everything out on the barrel.

Best Regards,
    Terry

7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Terry, you DO have a World Market gun; that is, one not imported to the U.S. by Browning but sold by FN in some other country. Do you know where its original owner got it?

By the way, FN bought the right to use “Browning” as a Trade Mark in, I think, 1925.

I’d like to see a picture of the Barrel Address on the rib.
  8. Terry Z

Terry Z Copper BB

Rudolph,

There are no markings other than what you have seen and these. And the last 3 of the serial as well as the entire serial in 2 places. Serial on barrel and receiver do match. [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

OK. I have a World Market barrel from 1929 that has the Belgium address on top, and a 1924 barrel with the Ogden address. But neither have a rib, which is probably why.

Did you find out where the original owner bought it? If it’s been in the family since 1925 they bought it new, and not in the U.S.
  10. Terry Z

Terry Z Copper BB

He isn’t sure and the folks that might know are deceased. There are 2 more marks I have, FN in an oval above the serial and what appears to be a capital D in a box below the serial. Both on the underside of the receiver.[​IMG]

11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The boxed D is an FN inspection mark. I have a chart, but as usual it doesn’t match the letter.

[​IMG]
  12. Terry Z

Terry Z Copper BB

Thank you for taking all this time with this old shooter. (Gun and me!) I appreciate the effort. Shotgun is about 80-85% with it being an FN and not a Browning labels product is there any way to know a range of value?
    I paid $600 for it thinking it was a Browning complete Belgium. Still functions mechanically and the barrel is in fine shape inside and out. Just wondering how much I over paid :/

13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It is a Browning. JMB had a very close relationship with FN, and for many years all of the guns sold by Browning Arms were made by FN. As to value, if your gun is in the condition you say, I think it’s a bargain. Just think of the crap they sell these days for $600. Enjoy your masterpiece of wood and machined steel.

Oh, do me a favor and go over to the Flagler airport and tell Tripp I said hi.
  14. Terry Z

Terry Z Copper BB

HA! Stopped at that airport some have you? What part of MO are you from? Most of my wife’s family lives there.

15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

NOT from MO, just live there (St. Louis area). Lived in FL for quite a while.
  16. Terry Z

Terry Z Copper BB

Gotcha! Family lifes on the other side of the state. Thanks again for the help!
    Rudolph31 likes this.