Browning A5 in the 7xxx range

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ken1957, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Ken1957

Ken1957 Copper BB

I am researching a friends A5 for him as he does not do computers. He owns a frame and barrels for a engraved A5 serial number in the 7xxx range, the engraveing is exactly like what is pictured on the Shirley/Vanderlinden book pages 58 and 59. We do not know what the stock and forend should look like for this grade, specifically the checkering patern, lines per inch, layout etc. do you guys have a picture to reference from as my friend does his own stock work. Thanks in advance
    Ken
  2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I am relatively certain the checkering on the wood was essentially the same as the lower grade models. (The wood itself might have been a higher grade with fancier grain, etc.)
    The checkering is 20 lines per inch, and the layout would be the same as any other checkered stock from that time era. The bordering lines will cross (figure 122-1 in the bible) underneath on the grip-which more than likely would have been a round butt.
  3. Ken1957

Ken1957 Copper BB

Bill thank you for your reply, I am thinking that the checkering wasn't any fancier too. I would just like to see a picture if there is one available.
  4. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Since the checkering itself is the same as the "regular" checkering, there are plenty of pictures throughout the bible showing close-ups. If you look at figure # 138-2, 139-2, and 139-3 you will see a different carving on the butt stock where it meets the rear of the receiver. The captions refer to a Grade 4, and pardon my ignorance, but I don't know if the model your friend has is a Grade 4 or not. (Way above my pay grade.) It would seem logical then, IF your friend's gun IS a Grade 4, then that fancier wood would be appropriate. The bible mentions the real early guns being offered with special order English Walnut, so that might be something to consider as well.

Pictures of a before and after?
    win7stw likes this.
  5. Ken1957

Ken1957 Copper BB

Bill looking at photo fig 59-1 there does not appear to have a tear drop on the side of the stock by the frame. I am going to continue my search for an example showing the whole gun in the picture. My friend is quite picky.
    Thanks again
  6. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Being a purist when it comes to restoring things, I understand completely.

I have also been restoring military vehicle for the last twenty years. It can prove to be quite frustrating when it needs to be done correctly, not "close enough", or "I think it's supposed to be this way".

Check out the middle A5 shown on the cover of the book. That example shows a bit more of the fancier stock, including the grip. (That looks like a 3 shot, and somewhere in the early Grade 2 or early Grade 3 range.) At the very least, it gives a little better picture of what a fancier stock looked like, possibly/probably appropriate for your friends gun.

The key words here are "possibly/probably". Keep us posted, as any information gained helps all of us A5 geeks down the road at some time.

Try the museum in Utah? Give them a call.
  7. Ken1957

Ken1957 Copper BB

Bill my friend is 78 years old and I am trying to get him motivated to work on this gun. I collect L. C. Smith shotguns and my friend is my go to guy if I need any wood work on my guns, when he works on my guns he goes to the point of timing the screws so they are not out of wack, he is a perfectionist. If i do not find the exact engraved style gun in a picture showing the correct configuration he will not move forward.
    Ken
  8. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Hey can we get some pictures of that fancy stock out of the Bible?
  9. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

1.) Posting pictures and me are NOT on speaking terms. I know barely enough about computers to type on these forums!
    2.) There might be some legal copyright issues.
  10. Ken1957

Ken1957 Copper BB

Here is what I think it should look like

Ken

Attached Files:

11. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I saw a straight stock A5 at a gun show about ten years ago with checkering like that. I have also seen a couple of straight stocks with no checkering.
    I am hitting the Boise area gun shops early next week. I will see if there any in captivity.
  12. Biz

Biz 20g

Ken, the checkering of the stock you show is from a Trap model. Here is a pic of two 1904 buttstock with an original buttplate. The second picture is a forearm from a 1904, serial 7343, suicide safety and the Ogden Utah marking on the barrel. Hope this help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    win7stw and Rudolph31 like this.
  13. Ken1957

Ken1957 Copper BB

Biz,
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate the pictures.
    Ken
  14. Biz

Biz 20g

My pleasure, if you need more detailed pictures, let me know.
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I would love to see your collection.
  16. Biz

Biz 20g

May be Rudolph can borrow an Airbus A380 for one weekend and pick you up and land to the Ottawa airport. I will have you guy for supper and after I will show you those old wrecks.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’m posting these pictures at the request of Browning90va, along with this message:

My username is Browning90va on Browning owners also, I have been a member for some time, but probably never posted and was in an inactive state. I had to reset password and it has not given my posting privileges back yet.

Anyway, I happened to stumble on this gun about a week ago today, on Guns International, Steve Barnett had it also, but it was poorly titled and I guess hadn’t drawn any attention yet. It is numbers matching, including the wood. It has a Poly Choke, which I am not a fan. But I know you are, and they have their place. The wood, while stable, has many issues as seen in the pics. The forearm also has been fixed on the magazine cap end, but that seems stable. Attached are pics of the gun, and some technical info. I’m hoping it will help the original poster of that thread. I appreciate you taking the time to help me relay this info over. Feel free to share on the shotgun world forum also if you wish. Thanks again!

S/N: 7421
    Checkering Lines per inch- 24
    Pictured on S/V page 60-61

[​IMG]
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Wow that’s a beauty