Browning 1911 - 380 Magazine Problems

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by Lead Head, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Lead Head

Lead Head .22LR

I have read several threads that relate to nose up feeding problems and the fix seems to be the closing of the very front of the feed lips down to .305" from the typical .318" or so.

Also mentioned in the threads is the fact that the feed lips of the Browning 380 magazines are quite short compared to other 380 pistols.

I measured my Walther PPK-S and Bersa Firestorm magazines and found those feed lips to be between .220" and .240" longer than the Browning magazine lips. Also the feed lip opening at the point of release for the Bersa and Walther measures .290" and .300".

I spoke to a person at Browning today and asked about the nose up jams some Browning Black Label 380 owners are having. I asked if he thought the magazine lip opening some are reporting measuring around .318" at he release point or the noticeably lighter magazine spring tension could be a problem. His answer was the vast majority of the Browning Black Label 380 owners are not having any problems and if such problems persist, the owners should contact Browning for help.

There are other possible causes of nose up jams. The extractor is one. If the cartridge is not able to slide up under the extractor hook easily enough, a nose up jam can occur. The cause can be too weak a magazine spring or the extractor hook may need to be polished or burrs removed. If the face of the slide is rough the cartridge may not slide up under the extractor properly. This problem can some times be ammunition related because not all ammunition is the same in the area of the rim or extractor cut and bevel.

Personally I would like to see a magazine with feed lips tighter at the release point and longer feed lips. A stronger magazine spring, I think would be better. Just my opinion. For now I have closed the feed lips down to .305" at the release point on my three Browning magazines. Now I have to fire a few hundred rounds to see if that makes my Black Label 380 100% reliable. If not the Black Label will not be my choice for self defense. It would remain one of my fun to shoot 380's, which it is.

Maybe in time, there will be some after market manufacturers of magazines and magazine springs that can improve on the ones Browning magazines, if that is possible.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

One can only hope...
  3. Lead Head

Lead Head .22LR

Wishful thinking I guess. Logic would suggest no manufacturer of replacement parts, magazines, springs, etc. will start to manufacture replacement parts for a firearm until there is enough demand from enough gun owners to justify the cost of research, development and production of the desired parts.

At this point in time, I don't think there are enough Browning Black Label 380 owners that feel a need for better magazines or spring kits to justify manufacturers invest the cost to produce those parts. With Browning being slow in getting the pistols to the shooters, it could be a long wait.

You are right, We can only hope.
  4. Ken.

Ken. Copper BB

If you need magazines, look at Midway. I just got three at $27 each, which is not bad. I got mine from CDNN, arrived Thursday after Christmas. Took it apart, put a relief on the sear nose, and adjusted the sear and trigger spring. Nice crisp release at about 3 pounds. The right hand safety is held on with a roll pin, which sucks. I may just leave it off, cut the end of the safety pin, and round it off. I like the looks without the right hand safety. All of the magazine lip spacing measures between .316 to .317. Has a little slide rattle which is fine, and the sights need a drop of "glow in the dark" paint. I think that after market sights will probably appear as time goes on. I am also going to remove the nub on the magazine release to get rid of the no magazine interlock.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.