Browning 1911-22 Handgun Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Browning 1911-22 Handgun' started by Billythekid, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Post all of the Browning 1911-22 Handgun troubleshooting here...
  2. seamus30

seamus30 .22LR

Well, while I was cleaning my gun I noticed the recoil spring guide is cracked. It appears as if there is a piece cracking off the back part that sits up against the barrel. I've attached a picture but its kind of hard to see. Any thoughts on what may have caused this? Could this lead to the gun jamming?

Attached Files:

Gary Panzer likes this.
  3. seamus30

seamus30 .22LR

Just to update, I took the gun back to Cabelas and they replaced the recoil spring guide with one from a gun they had in stock. No questions asked.
  4. Billythekid

Good to hear, did they mention what might have caused it?
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Yea, probably because it's plastic...instead of steel or even aluminum.
  6. seamus30

seamus30 .22LR

He didn't say much other than "it's obviously defective". Personally I'd have to agree. It wasn't cracked where the spring makes contact with the guide, it was on the outer edge. I'm not worried about it, I'll go shoot it when the weather warms up and I'm confident it'll be fine.
  7. Billythekid

good to hear.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Well...thanks for setting me straight maierar ! :twisted:
  9. seamus30

seamus30 .22LR

Its happening again!! I shot it today and while I was cleaning it afterward, I noticed it was starting to crack in the same place as the last time. I'm pretty sure its the slide thats doing it. I placed the slide up against the guide and the crack lines up perfectly with the curve on the underside of the slide. I wonder if a stiffer spring would stop the slide from recoiling all the way back? Have any of you guys seen anything like this on another pistol? I'm a little disappointed right now, I expected better from Browning.
  10. cavelamb

cavelamb .22LR

dress the sharp edge of the slide first?
  11. jbird03

jbird03 Copper BB

Toq
    I fee trto ttttte would wwqwwwawaaw3wrvbbett like - for this one out and wfeew

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
  12. Alpha1

Alpha1 .410

the 1911-380 is almost identical to you 22 except for of course bore side. How you assemble the weapon is very important, the slight protrution on the guide rod must fit perfectly into the receiver latch assembly. I assemble my 380 keeping the gun in a vertical position and then installing the recoil spring. Once that is locked in place insert the latch lock. I have been at this for a lot of years and the first thing I do with any semi that has a plastic recoil rod is to replace it with a full length. You can get rod and spring from zrtacticalsolutions.com. Just make sure you order the right size, 3.625 or 4.25. The recoill spring for the 22 and 380 are same. I have a new one in my 380, and mine operates perfectly after I fixed the factory design bug. I checked with Wolff, the largest gun spring guys, and they do not provide a HD spring and I do not think need one. If you do install a full length guide rod DO NOT install the buffer pad. You will find out why if you do install it. If that does not solve it let me know and we can go to plan B... remeber that the recoil rod "detent" must be seated properly. If it is not, the "top" of the plastic rod will be nicked off.