Bought Another One

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Feb 28, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

How are you going to address the LOP issue?
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Saw that too. He’s 16 miles away from me. He’s asking too much IMO
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Nevermind he changed his price
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I should mention that in addition to my hand loads, I shot some factory shells yesterday. These were B&P 67mm shells that had been laying around for years. I’d forgotten whether or not these would cycle in a 65mm chamber. I think at the time I bought them that I was leery of the safety aspect. Also, I needed spreaders in my full choked gun. The shells functioned 100%. Just as a test I loaded two Herters 70mm shells and got two stove pipes.

The shells are expensive, $99 per flat of eight. But no more expensive than RST and Polywad ammo. I won’t be buying any more soon, but if I was a hunter I’d buy another case. Here’s what Chuck Hawks has to say:

https://www.chuckhawks.com/b-p_shotshells.htm
    win7stw likes this.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Look like a great shell. I might have to try them out. It’s hard for me to not roll my own though
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I get it, we save a ton reloading, especially the short shells. But if I was shooting beyond Skeet range, or using something other than #8 shot, I think I’d invest in some high quality shells.

How are those roll crimps coming?
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I believe my reloads are high quality. Haven’t got to the roll crimps yet. Waiting on some overshot cards
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’m sure they are. But changing shot size is a hassle I don’t need.

By the way, tonight I loaded some paper shells that I’d previously fold crimped on the Short Kit. The Hartin crimps looked pretty sad. But I found that if I ran the final crimp twice, the second time with the shell sitting on top of the shell holder, the crimps looked pretty good.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I usually load 7.5’s for spirting clays and 9’s for skeet. So changing to 5’s for hunting loads isn’t a big deal for me.

Have any pictures of the shells you crimped twice?
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Not at the moment, but I’ll take some later. They’re still not pretty, but they’re tight. I’m not sure how this will work for plastic hulls, so I’ll try that too.

Hartin crimps usually work best with these paper hulls, but because of the previous fold crimp the case mouth was pretty weak.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

OK, a little late, but here are the pictures.

I bought these from BP as new 65mm primed Cheddites. I’d previously loaded them on my Short Kit and now they’re not real happy taking a Hartin crimp.

[​IMG]

A second crimping sitting on the shell holder made them look like this:

[​IMG]
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I realize I could probably adjust the final crimp but it’s really only necessary with these previously fold crimped shells. And I’m not planning to pick these up.

[​IMG]
  14. Biz

Biz 20g

That is a surprise to me, I didn’t know it was still possible to purchase cardboard or paper shell.
  15. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Ballistic products sells them. They are out right now
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, I shot them all. Every shell cycled the gun; and broke clays — when I remembered to point the gun 2 feet below the bird.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Every shell broke a bird? Good work
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

When I remembered to point the gun 2 feet below the bird.
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Missed that part. Is the LOP why you are pointing so low
  20. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Maybe, but I aimed it like a rifle at the pattern board and the pattern was substantially above the point of aim. Probably if I would pre-mount most of the problem would go away. But I just don’t like to shoot like that.