BOSS "sweet spot" setting help

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by Todd Hale, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Todd Hale

Todd Hale Copper BB

I am new to this forum and apologize if my question has already been addressed elsewhere. I just got a SWEET BAR Mark II with BOSS in .300 Win Mag for my brother as a 50th birthday gift, it's a 1999 Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation commemorative, unfired, beautiful rifle. Have mounted a Leupold VX 3 4.5-14-40 and will be heading to the range this weekend to dial it in for Hornady 180 grain Superperformance SSTs, my preferred hunting bullet. I don't see in any of Browning's posted suggested "sweet spots" a BOSS setting for this cartridge. There are several for other 180 grain bullets, but they vary widely. I will proceed by trial and error and also think the relatively high velocity of the Superperformance rounds (3130 fps) likely calls for a relatively high BOSSS number setting. If anyone has any insights about this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. (p.s. - I will post a picture of the rifle, it's awesome.)
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Todd !!
  3. talkinghorse

talkinghorse .22LR

I had the same issue with my 7mm Rem Mag....not all the bullet varieties are listed on Browning's web site. I found a statement on there where Browning said to pick a round that's closest to the one you're using and use that as the baseline. Shoot and adjust from there.

The BOSS system really works...I was able to reduce my groups from several inches to three shots essentially touching eachother.

Now if I could do something about the horrible trigger I'd be really happy!
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks for the input talkinghorse...