BL-22 front sight removal

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Trou' started by juststarting, Nov 12, 2016.

1. juststarting

juststarting Copper BB

Hi All

I am having some issues removing the front sight from Browning BL-22, to replace it with a Skinner front sight. So here's me hoping someone may be able to offer some advise on how to proceed or perhaps spot something that I am doing wrong.

I clamped the rifle in heavy fixed vise, using two pieces of plywood to protect the finish. Then I tried to drift the front sight out using plastic punch and later brass punch. I also sprayed it with Inox (just a penetrating lubricant spray). I tapped and tapped, but I am just not seeing any movement. I tried using brass and heavy hammers.

I was trying to drift the sight out from right (ejector port side) to left.

That's about it. Tried for a while, no luck.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

{ as far as the sight drifting question...I'll defer to the experts here }
  3. juststarting

juststarting Copper BB

Thanks Shooter13. I must say, I am loving this rifle! The damn front sight though, it's making me a little angry.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Have you tried going in the other direction....Left to Right !?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2016
  5. juststarting

juststarting Copper BB

Yep, still no luck. though the manual doesn't indicate direction, so I am thinking it may be irrelevant. Then again, I could be hammering the wrong way.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

No...it actually IS relevant. The sights are drifted in only one way on 99% of firearms...

I just forget which way.

Call Browning and find out for us both...

Browning Arms Company ยท Customer service
    upload_2016-11-12_11-33-40.jpeg
    +1 800-333-3288
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Found this:

FITTING A FRONT SIGHT

Remove the front sight from the rifle using a brass punch and a mallet. Drift the sight from left to right (as viewed from the rear sighting down the barrel)

==============advice continued...===================

Hold the new sight to the right side of the slot and try to start the sight. If it will start then drift it into center position using the brass punch and mallet. If you cannot start it by hand, you will need to use a small TRIANGULAR FILE to remove some metal. Very little filing will be necessary. File a couple of strokes then check.

First, with just a couple light file strokes, lightly dull the sharp edges.

Then:

File only on the sloped side of the SIGHT dovetail and only file on one of the two surfaces. Keep fitting until the sight will push about 1/2 way across the dovetail slot with firm thumb pressure. Then tap into place with a BRASS or Nylon punch. Do not use excessive force...

THE DOVETAIL ON THE SIGHT IS MADE SLIGHTLY OVERSIZE DUE TO VARIATIONS IN WIDTHS OF THE DOVETAIL SLOT ON THE GUN.

The goal is a firm friction fit that cannot be moved by hand, but can be moved with gentle taps of a punch and mallet.