Bio Ammo Reloads Not So Good

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Auzzie, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

What initially looked promising compared to all the other Eurotrash we get to play with ,well pretty much all we get to play with was the base wad being higher. This providing reasonably good crimping for light 13/16 skeet loads using only 18.5 or 19 grains powder. However field trials at the R&D session on range yesterday proved otherwise.
    Very unsatisfactory in an Auto with the rims being stripped off the cases at random. There is no way this should happen with such a light wimpy load. The metal to base cup crimp fit leaves a lot to be desired. Also the metal bases are inconsistent die wise on the diameter and at random you get shells creeping past the feed latch up under the shell lifter. Most frustrating!!!! Tried other ammo and worked fine rest of afternoon.

An nice as they load up and look the part they are not worth the effort and the idea of the hull and base metal separating could be problem also for in an O/U and the not so observant or in tune shooter.

Apart from being a crap load as a factory the hulls stinks as well

Attached Files:

2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Auzzie: couple questions, what did you use to resize the brass? And what shotgun did you shoot the one that the brass head came off of?
    I had a few Remington gun clubs do the same thing in one of my auto 5’s. Sent back to Remington and of course they replaced each shell with a full box of nitro 27’s.
  3. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Resized mine using the full length ponsness 375 sleeve die on the press . My shooting buddy did lot his with Mec supersizer same outcome in his A 400. I am sure the claim would be they are not designed to be reloaded. Be alright if they gave you nitro 27’s for each dud bio ammo. I have seen plenty of duds so far they would be broke. By way whenever we see anybody dumping 27”s which is rare were onto them. Great shell to reload n go forever.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Well good to know. If and when I do find some, I will limit it to 1 box with one and done.
  5. Ranger6

Auzzie: after reading your post and wanting to try these damn things, I did a search and actually found some in stock( we will see if true), at a place called ammo to go. Well hell they are 20 miles from the house right here in Houston. No store front, so had to order a flat, but if they should have, I will have some soon.
  6. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

That will be very interesting to see if you get your hands on and if they actually behave better in your hemisphere and conditions. I certainly wouldn’t recommend to anyone from what I have seen so far as a shell or hull . Have fun testing or clearing your barrel and look forward to an in depth assessment. Ammo to go! Sounds like some bargain ass place my avatar would go shopping . Ha
  7. Ranger6

Yea time will tell if they are the real deal. I got an email stating that they were working on my order, which I’m sure is computer generated. Actually I doubt they could be any worse then the Winchester universal from Wally World.
  8. Ranger6

Auzzie:
    Got an email today with tracking number. Should have bioammo on Wednesday.Looks like they are the real deal. First impressions not to shabby. We will see what’s inside and how they work

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  9. Ranger6

The hull is a straight wall hull with plastic base wad. The plastic is .030 thick. The brass is 16mm. It has a rio primer. The wad looks to have been compressed during crimping. The crimp measures about .073 deep. The crimps are slightly dished. The #7 shot is pretty uniform. Shot comes in at just a little over 32 grams. The powder looks to be csb1 and a heavy charge of over 28 grains. The shot level is above the shot cup. Will give a range report hopefully Saturday.

Attached Files:

10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The stars on the head of the shells identify them as Cheddites.
  11. Ranger6

That would be my guess, but no where can I find that says Cheddite was involved. I have read that it took them 10 years to come up with the final product. Guess you never really know who is in bed with who anymore.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’ve been reloading Cheddite hulls for years. Mostly the old Herters, but some other brands as well. And I have never seen the Cheddite name on any box of factory ammo.
  13. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Ranger
    Nice to see “ammo to go” isn’t a division of ACME inc. ( at this stage) Apparently there is more expensive ECO friendly version as well using steel shot and dissolving primers etc kicking around. $160 Auz a slab bit too rich for me. Keep eye out they have fancy thumb through glossy booklet flyer same size as shell box front that gives rundown on latest and greatest.
    When your testing give couple to somebody (you don’t like ha) with a modern overbore gun to try and see if they bloop and carry on with weird sounding report noises. I reckon the plastic is too rigid in the powder cup and doesn’t expand out properly to seal. They might go alright in your trusty Auto 5.
    Keep us posted.
  14. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Oh yeah by the way what is CSB 1 powder? Obviously something you have seen before?
  15. Ranger6

It is made by maxum. Pistol/ shotgun powder. I have a buddy that use to use it. He liked it, but don’t have anymore.
  16. Ranger6

Oh forgot to tell you that I received an email today from ammo to go, wanting to know if I was happy with my purchase, and if everything went ok with delivery. It gave a number to call, so I decided to call, just to see if it was a computer thing , damn real human answered, and after a little conversation I found out it was the co owner. The company was started because they both are hunters, shooters and reloaders and got tired of the shitty service. So nice to see that some people still get it, in this crazy world.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  17. Ranger6

So range report on the bio ammo. Let me just say I’m not opposed to lead and don’t believe all the bullshit behind lead. I have picked many a bb’s out of my mouth and probably swallowed a few and I’m still here. Anyway the bio ammo fired and ejected fine in the auto 5. The felt recoil( or perceived) was slightly more then the Winchester universal 1 1/8 load. They all broke clays. The crimp memory seems to be pretty good. And will have to open them up a bit to reload. I see no brass damage, no split mouths, and no loose brass base on the hull. The first hull length is in mm which looks to be just shy of 70mm. The second is inches. I measured about 10 random hulls and there are very slight differences.

Attached Files:

18. Ranger6

Next is the reloading. I loaded 10 shells for tomorrow on the skeet field. I used alliant load data for 1oz in cheddite hulls. It calls for a cheddite primer. I inserted, and removed the cheddite primer several times, along with a Rio primer and I see no difference in the amount of pressure to seat or remove either primer. I will be shooting in the auto 5 so wanted to make sure the cheddite primers are held in the hull firmly.
    Note: I read a lot of post about removing live primers and is it safe. I use a mec 600 mark v to de prime live primers all the time. A little common sense goes a long way in reloading.
    The load calls for red dot, and the federal wad( CB 2100-12) replacement is what I used. The shot level in the cup is spot on with 1oz of #8. The wad was a little pain to insert, I did these 10 by hand, but a little tweaking and should be able to use the machine. I used the gaep pre crimp with the same setting as I used for the Rio hulls. I need to lower the final crimp cam just a little.
    Not sure if the shells Auzzie had were a bad batch or what. I didn’t think the shells were that bad to load and have decent results. I will know more tomorrow after shooting.

Attached Files:

19. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Interesting wrap. You see your test hulls are different to the ones in my images. Only noticed when re reading post looking bit closer. Wads look the same. Was at range yesterday discussing opinion on bio ammo with other that have bought and not many happy users. Most reporting the odd report sounds n bloops eroded their confidence . The consensus was they were bit sharp feel recoil wise compared to other 28g loads.
    One thing there is never a shortage of at gun clubs is opinions and free advice. Trick is to separate fact from fiction.
  20. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Ranger,
    Good to see your having more success with your subject matter. My reloads came up good like yours and I really thought they showed promise until we kept stripping the steel bases off with the autos.
    I hope they work Ok with all the effort.