BAR Cleaning

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by Corsair II Driver, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Corsair II Driver

Corsair II Driver Copper BB

As a newby to this forum and a new BAR Long Trac 30.06 owner I have a question regarding a thorough cleaning of my new rifle. My owners manual gives info on barrel cleaning & trigger group cleaning, but nothing on removing the forearm & cleaning the gas piston and gas cylinder area. How often do you BAR owners clean this area. Thanks.

Jon
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Jon !!

The LTV A-7 Corsair II was an awesome Vietnam era airframe...Thank you for your service to our great country !!

As for your question...I'm not quite sure on that particular rifle, but I do know that a member here will be along to help shortly...
  3. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Hello, Jon, and welcome to the forum.
    You may wish to visit the FN USA website, and find the downloadable owner's manual for the FNAR. (Here it is for you: http://www.fnhusa.com/r/support/manuals/manuals-download/ ). The FNAR is an ugly, all-black version of a ShorTrac BAR :) with a heavy barrel, but the manual is _much_ better and more thorough, IMO. Basic mechanism appears to me to be the same between the ShorTrac and LongTrac BARs.

Taking the forend off is quick and easy, but I don't plan to take the gas piston & cylinder apart too terribly frequently. For me, that means I'll not likely touch it more than every few to perhaps several hundred rounds (1 rifle match is normally 40 - 70 rounds). However, I need more time on the gun before I can say for certain whether that'll 'feel' right to me or not.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  4. Corsair II Driver

Corsair II Driver Copper BB

Thanks MZ5, you are correct, the manual is MUCH more thorough than the LongTrac manual. It answers what I need to know. I may not be taking the gas piston & cylinder apart that often either.

Jon
    MZ5 likes this.
  5. rawright

rawright .22LR

Nice link, MZ5! I've got the Safari model in .30-06, but I'll bet there's only slight differences.
    MZ5 likes this.
  6. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

rawright, I'll be very interested to hear just how different the steel-receiver Safari is from the aluminum-receiver ShorTrac/LongTrac. From looking at some parts schematics at Brownells recently, I believe the current-production Safari II also has an adjustable gas block. I'm not sure the old ones were so equipped. In any case, I hope the designs are similar enough that the FNAR manual's procedures are still useful to you!
  7. rawright

rawright .22LR

I'm looking forward to finding out how accurate the FN manual is, given the common ancestry. I know it won't be perfect, but it's scary to me to venture into the internals of a fine piece of precision machinery without any guide at all. I'm hoping that this manual will serve as a guide to the bits that aren't well described in the official (and completely inadequate) manual.
    MZ5 likes this.