B 78 serial number question

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by James Porter, Jul 29, 2019.

1. James Porter

James Porter Copper BB

I have a B 78 that does not followed the standard serial number methodology on the browning web site. Their site says the W (for B78) should be the last character in the serial number and should be preceded by the last two digits of the year of manufacture. My serial number is 1586W37. I assume it was manufactured between 1973 and 1975. Can anyone help identify the year of manufacture?
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello and welcome to the site.

Browning’s website is full of contradictory, incomplete, and wrong information. In this case, I’d say just incomplete. I usually refer to the NRA website, but it’s silent on the B78.

If I had to guess, I’d say the 37 stands for 1973. Browning used that convention on the B2000 shotgun produced back then. There should be a date code on the barrel to check. Here’s a list:

http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html
  3. James Porter

James Porter Copper BB

Thank you for your reply and for your help. I suspected 1973 but had nothing to base it on. I will check for the proof mark on the barrel tonight. I have also found anomalies to Browning's serial number dating on some other guns that I own. This B78 (.30-06) is probably my favorite rifle though.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

James Porter likes this.