Auto 5 Choke Question

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by miscverb, Mar 7, 2021.

1. miscverb

miscverb Copper BB

Can anyone inform me about what year the original design Auto 5's started with removable chokes? As a newbie Auto 5 junking inquiring minds want to know. Thanks
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Only Japanese produced guns had screw-in chokes. Production began in Japan in 1976 and ended in Belgium in 1978. But I don’t think the Invector Choke system debuted until the 1980’s.
  3. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Rudolph is right and since this is the internet I’m gonna float an opinion. IMH but strong O, I’d rather shoot a Belgian gun with a barrel that’s been retrofitted with a screw in choke than buy a Japanese model just to get the Invector. Some may say it’s sacrilege to modify a Belgian barrel but I’ve done it and I like it. The Japanese guns are heavier and it’s noticeable. If you’re a shooter vs someone who’s just collecting them it it’s a viable option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Got several jap barrels on Belgium ones. Never noted any difference in weight. I also have some with thin wall chokes. No difference noted.