Auto 5 16 ga?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Lead ball, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Lead ball

Lead ball .22LR

I have a chance to get a 1949 auto 5 16 gauge it's a mobel 441special which is same as a grade 1 but with solid rib or vent rib this one has a solid rib my Q is will it be the same size as the twelve gauge or is it a sweet 16 size gun thanks
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

All 16 gauge Auto-5’s have smaller receivers than the 12’s. In fact, it’s even smaller than a scaled down 12 would be as John Browning was trying to get it as light as possible. That’s why a little bit of the barrel extension sticks out of the front.
  3. Lead ball

Lead ball .22LR

Okay great but are they worth the extra effort and money for the amo I don't shoot or hunt a lot but I like Turkey's and love grouse and I might shoot 3-5 hundred rounds a season thanks for your opinions
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yes.! And yes one more time. I have been waiting on the right 16 to come along and it finally did. I shot it for the first time this last week and loved it. Yes you will either have to reload or buy online, but in my opinion on of the best gauges out there. I have heard it’s making a come back, so if true the ammo will go down. There are a lot of people that still use a 16 gauge as a great bird gun. I can remember my grand father only carrying a 16 gauge double Stevens 285. If it’s a 2 3/4 gun then ammo is easier to get and reload. If 2 9/16 then time to roll the sleeves up and buy a re loader and get busy. You will not regret it.
  5. Lead ball

Lead ball .22LR

Okay I will get the 16 ga auto 5 and look for a beater model 11 for 12 gauge maybe the auto 5 16 gauge looks pretty nice no cracks any where is 300.00 a good price
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yes. Expect to replace the springs and a good cleaning. Completely disassembled and lubed and set up correctly to fire the loads that you shoot. There are some good videos on the web of disassembly. If you have trouble you can contact me or one of the other members. We are all glad to help. And what you lube with( inside) is very important. There are some that like motor oil and other that like clp. I use clp only and never have a problem. If you use clp get the real stuff, stuff military uses. It’s expensive but a little goes a long way. You don’t need much. The old saying more is better won’t work here. The other important note is to set it up correctly. If you need help, just ask if not sure. Once again enjoy the 16.
  7. Lead ball

Lead ball .22LR

Okay great is there that much difference between the 16 ga loads that you have to set up the friction rings let's say for cheap game loads and loads for pheasant and turkey
  8. Ranger6

Well yes and no. I shoot 1oz #8. Skeet loads. But I also shoot #4 1 1/8 oz( heavy). I change settings. You should always start out heavy and see if it will cycle. If so leave it there. If not go to light loads and see if it will cycle. My 12 mag will cycle 7/8 loads, but has been changed to handle them. If set up wrong you will have more recoil then necessary. Most people say they don’t like old A5 cause they kick to hard. I actually bought a light 12 cheap cause guy said it kicked to hard and wasn’t pleasant to shoot. It was set up wrong. The A5 is a great gun and should be pleasant to shoot. And also should eat anything you put in it
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  9. Lead ball

Lead ball .22LR

Do you think the 16 gauge is going to make a come back. I have only had 12 ga but since I am seriously looking at this 16 ga from what I can see in my research it is the best of both the 20 and 12 gauge in size and payload I can't wait to take it out.......... if I can get it
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The 16 will never be as popular as the 12 and 20. But ammo is easily available. And, all post WWII Brownings use 2 3/4” shells. You can find that at Walmart.
  11. Ranger6

I agree it will never be as popular as 12 or 20, but there are still many people that shoot the 16. You should join the 16 gauge group on yahoo. There is a bunch of info and many loads for all 16 gauges. I joined and didn’t realize how many people prefer the 16.
    Hell its all fun. 12 20 16 28 or 410. I’m gonna start reloading for 16 to help with the cost. I’m looking for another reloader, cause I don’t wanna change one of the four that I have now to 2 1/2. Any sport or hobby cost money, so it’s just part of it. You should take a look at RST. They make good shells at all pressures. I just got a case of #8 for 110 delivered to my door, and you can reload them.
  12. Ranger6

Lead ball where you located?