Ammunition Reloaders

Discussion in 'Ammunition' started by lead-fouling, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Would you reload home defense rounds?
    LEO would you reload?

Question is would you reload rounds your life may depend on?

(BTW, no such thing as home defense rounds in the UK, you can't use a firearm for home defense regardless of the situation. We'd be expected to hand it over if a home invader threatened us with a knife and then presumably they'd shoot us with it!)
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I would rather be judged by the system over there in the UK... than dead...!!
    Rob poston and ABBrowningman like this.
  3. That's probably something to live by generally! Hopefully it never comes to it!
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

The sentiment over here is...and I quote :

"it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six..."
  5. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Copper BB

No. I won't reload rounds for self defense. It's not that I don't trust my handloads because over the last 30+ years I've learned to. It's the legal issue that may arise. A handloaded round that has been fired in self defense can cast doubt upon your own testimony because the contents and ballistics of that round cannot be verified. Where as a factory round comes from a box with others just like it. And that is just one of the reasons.
    Never put yourself in a position where a sharp lawyer can really put it to you because of things you neglected to do or think about.
  6. Jon Tanner

Jon Tanner Copper BB

I've never had a problem with my reloads. They are just as dependable as any new boxed ammo. But as Darkhorse mentioned. here the legal system will eat you use a reload. So you always use a factory round for personal defense and let the manufactures deal with any legal issues about the bullet.
    shooter69 likes this.
  7. lrrp75thRngr

lrrp75thRngr Copper BB

Can you buy bear spray?
  8. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Personally, I prefer pepper spray... and by pepper spray, I mean pepper him with a spray of 12g shot. ;-) But it sounds like that is not an option over there.
    Bear spray is good, but if it is not available, look into wasp spray. It is just as affective, and can shoot up to 25' away. Any bad guy will hate his life!
  9. frogbert

frogbert Copper BB

I have heard of this argument before about using reloaded ammo for defense. I did some, not a lot,of research on the matter and no one has not been prosecuted for shooting a bad guy with reloaded ammo that I could find. Let me know if there has been such a case.
    Wasp spray works good too.
    Roan444 likes this.
  10. Ranger6

Ranger6 .270 WIN

I don’t think they would even say it was reloaded or not. Don’t even think it would matter. Usually dead is dead. I think it’s the general agreement that if it comes to anyone making that decision to take someone’s life, you don’t need any lawyer trying to place doubt in the situation if you were justified or not. Some people think that someone that is stealing a car should be shot. Most have no idea what it takes to live with the fact. Much easier to pull the trigger, then live with the fact. Trust me let them have the car, keys and never bring it back before you take their life in most cases.! If there is a threat to your life or your family then there may be no other choice, hope that you are never faced with that decision.
  11. frogbert

frogbert Copper BB

12. Norske

Norske .410

The legal problems with using reloads for defense purposes came from the pen of the handgun writer Massad Ayoob ("In Gravest Extreme"). I don't think there is a single court case where handloads were a problem, even yet. But I like Federal Hydra Shocks in the winter, and Winchester Silver Tips in light clothing seasons in my 45ACP.