Aftermarket forearm split

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Caniborrowsomeammo, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Caniborrowsomeammo

Caniborrowsomeammo Copper BB

New here and have 2 A5 mags, one I bought new in '68 when I was 12 or so and one I just picked up from a friend a Jap made gun (c. '78-79) that I believe was run without the correct friction rings thus ruining the original forearm. The correct amount of rings replaced and I bought the new forearm and relieved it to the receiver/barrel, but it didn't make 20 rounds and developed a crack on the receiver end. The grain in the split wasn't straight, it was curved and thus split with the curve. I will repair it but don't want it to split again, do you think it was the grain of the wood that caused the split or any other thing that is common that I missed???
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Sorry about your forearm. Several things can make them crack. Randy Wakeman says the biggest problem is the barrel ring rubbing when it reciprocates. A loose magazine cap is another possibility, I retract the barrel every few shots and make sure it’s hand tight. Someone on another forum said it can crack if it’s too tight, but that won’t happen just using your fingers. I had one split because the after market spring I got from Brownell’s was too big. I sent it back and they sent me a new forearm and the correct spring.
  3. Caniborrowsomeammo

Mag cap not too tight nor loose
    Nothing rubbing near the barrel ring
    I've noticed that with the aftermarket stock the barrel sits further forward compared to a composite stalker forearm
    I'll get the glue this week and patch it up
    I'd post a couple pics but says file too large
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

As forearms wear from being pounded by the barrel ring, the barrel ends up sitting further forward, leading to a crack. Art (of Art’s Gun Shop) pointed out a crescent of silver showing on my Light Twelve and told me I’d need a new forearm soon. It split a week later. I didn’t mention this before as you said your forearm was new. But there should be no unblued portion of the barrel extension showing.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I have never had a problem with any of my forearms. I always keep the mag cap tight. Check it often. Just like my choke. And make sure it fits correctly. If your barrel has rub marks on it, it’s not fit correctly. Real easy to do with either a file or sand paper. I use a piece of paper to slide along the barrel down inside forearm. If the paper slides freely then usually your good. Before I shoot one with new forearm I put a good coat of oil on the barrel. Shoot it and then look at the barrel for any rub. Unless your way off with fit, you will see a spot on the barrel that needs some work, but it will rub right off, because of the oil. I also don’t put any oil on forearm or stock when wiping it down. If I do I always make sure to get it off the wood, cause we all know what oil does to wood.
  6. Caniborrowsomeammo

I'm sure glad I found this forum, you fellows are a wealth of information. Thanks
    The wood stock had plenty of clearance between the wood and the barrel, as a folded dollar bill would slide right on down and I dremeled the relief at the receiver end comparable to the composite stock.
    As for the barrel, it protrudes into the receiver with the composite forearm, and with the wood forearm, it doesn't show any unblued part at all.
    I have to figure how to upload pics to this site.
  7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yea sure wish they would enlarge file size cause most pictures that I have tried to up load says file to big. You can use photo bucket or one of the many other. Anyone communicate with the higher ups? Maybe something they could look into.