Action spring tube angle

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Sep 24, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

So the stock that I just refinished is off a 1924 gun. It does not have the wrap around checkering. I just tried to install it on my 1928 gun and it gets tight really fast. It looks like the action spring tube is tight against the top of the stock. I’m curious if they changed the angle of the upper tang a little. I took the trigger assembly out to make sure it wasn’t the issue. I really don’t want to remove wood because that area of stocks an A5’s is pretty thin already.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Maybe another stock going out to get some checkering? Not sure about upper tang. I’m guessing at that time they were all hand fitted. Maybe that has something to do with it. Have you looked over on shotgun world at the timeline post? If it was changed it should be in there.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Just looked and no known changes from 1924 to 1932.
    win7stw likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I have a circa 1911 receiver with a 1939 stock. Not sure if it required fitting. But I’ve never heard anything about the angle changing.
  5. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

The only thing I can think of that would cause a difference would be possibly mixing 12 gauge and 16 gauge wood (admittedly I am not familiar at all with the 16 gauge stuff, see my other posts regarding 16s) -

A year or two ago I bought a "parts" gun without a butt stock, and simply grabbed one of my extras with the intentions of at least making it shootable. The wood wouldn't go on but an inch or two, and come to a screeching halt. Long story short (and not near as boring)-----it was a straight stock receiver. (Yes, they are different including as is the trigger housing.) The much more common pistol gripped butt stock simply will not fit on. On my particular gun, someone over the years had tried to bend down the trigger housing tang in order to get a pistol grip stock to work (failing miserably). In doing so, the angle of the stock screw goofs up the ability of the threads in the upper tang to line up. I carefully bent the tang back to its original angle and things lined back up properly.
    Could you have a similar issue?
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I didn’t think they would have changed it. I will try it on a later gun after work. I do know that is silver solder in the received so maybe it’s a bit off. possibly warped just a little or not lined up correctly when it was soldered
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I don’t think I have that issue Bill. The original pistol grip stock slides on and the screw starts easy. The replacement stock is for a pistol grip gun. I’ll let you know what I find tonight
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Yup he only change I’m aware of is the switch from screwed-in tubes (which break) to the silver soldered ones. I’m pretty sure that took place in 1958, along with a lot of other updates.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Tried it on 6 different guns and no go. Started the tedious job of fitting it. Had to walk away before I got too aggressive
  10. Ranger6

Very strange. Take your time buddy I’m sure you will get it done.
  11. Biz

Biz 20g

I faced that problem a few time. In some cases, it was the action spring tube that was slightly bent. Apparently you eliminated that possibility by trying to fit your stock on other receiver. The other case was, I believe, the stock was store for a long period in a very humid place and brought back in a very dry place. The stock in the drying process, was distorted. In other to fit the stock, I passed a long shank half inche drill bit into the existing action spring tube hole of the stock. It is not a very orthodox way but it did work for me.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks Marc, I was debating the long drill bit. I wasn’t sure if I should remove wood from the tube area or I could remove wood from the thicker portion of the tang where the screw goes in
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Used the drill bit and a round rasp. I have it on but it’s really tight and the trigger guard area needs some work still. It’s getting close but I’m getting impatient so I took a break again before I jack it up
  14. Ranger6

What are you using to mark your stock that needs material removed ? inlet black
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I use Prussian blue
  16. Ranger6

Ok thanks.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

And yes I get that shit everywhere
  18. Ranger6

Yea that was my problem with the inlet black stuff. Don’t think I have the patience for that stuff.
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The trigger guard is a little proud but it turned out pretty good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  20. Ranger6

Looks outstanding Justin. Job well done