Accuracy Issues

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by bomar, Aug 14, 2018.

1. bomar

bomar Guest

My first X-bolt Medallion. I picked up a used one in .308 - it dates to 2013.

The gun was probably carried around in a vehicle, muzzle down. There is some blueing gone from the muzzle, but it doesn't appear too bad - I've seen and shot worse looking muzzles.

The stock has a little chattering on the finish, so it wasn't handled or stored carefully.

My issue... we've only got two scopes handy.. a Redfield Tracker 2-7 and a Simmons. We've tried both with the same outcome. The mounts are Browning.

Both my husband and I have shot with the same outcome. At first, the Redfield.. seems to travel all over while sighting in.. get it near the bull, next one is way off.

Next the Simmons. This one was nice at getting into the bull.. kept the horizontal and moved progressively to the bull. My husband had 3 shots held the horizontal, and then near the bull. I shot just top of the bull. We were happy... then.. he says, try one more.. I shot... it hit down 2.5 inches and to the left. He tries.. it shot same horizontal as mine. and also to the left. At this point we were both frustrated and decided to quit for now.

We checked the barrel - not just with the borelight.. but shined a flashlight at the muzzle and could see lines of what we are assuming is copper. So now he's going to try to clean out the copper, but not sure if that is the issue.

Any suggestions? We've only had one other rifle ever not group for us and keep a group and that is a Ruger in .250 Savage which someone told us probably had one of the bad barrels during a certain mfg. period.
  2. kumpe

kumpe .410

Have you gone through the usual suspects?
    Mounts are fastened properly? Barrel is free floating? Stock screws tightened? Tried different types of ammunition?

I would also check for burrs around the muzzle crown if there's signs of careless handling at that end.
    I doubt that the copper fouling is the culprit in this case but of course it's not a bad idea to get rid of it anyway.

If I had to guess I would say that something is either loose (mounts, stock screws) or the stock is putting tension on the action or barrel. The latter has happened to me a couple of times due to moisture and badly sealed stocks. It can result in quite erratic behaviour.

Since you had different results with two different scopes I would put my money on the scope mounts.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  3. I think kumpe is on the right track ,most of my trouble in the past has been loose scope mounts .
  4. bomar

bomar Guest

Thanks. We'll double check the mounts. Did check the barrel and it is free floating... no catching with a paper check. I think I recall seeing where someone uses a cotton swab to check for burrs they can't see.. maybe we'll try that too. Also will double check all stock screws.. .. and try again!

We had also gone through two different mfg. ammo.
  5. bomar

bomar Guest

Update... cleaned the barrel out with bore scrubber.. still has the copper but no doubt clean.. checked the action screws, seemed tight, but torqued to 45 anyway. Hubby took it out.. shot 4 times.. all stayed within a group. He wanted to know if he should adjust the scope, I told him to leave it.. it was adjusted for me last time ( yes, we vary but within a kill area ) .. I shot twice.. first touching the bull, second touching the first shot.. so I'm happy with it. I'm never comfortable on a bench rest, I don't know why, so I don't like shooting a lot that way. I always freehand while hunting and that works well for me.
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  6. Glad to hear the good news ,happy hunting .
  7. bomar

bomar Guest