A5 speed load conversion

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ranger6, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The cross bolt safety appeared in 1951, the new style carrier spring in 1958. Seven years production equals a lot of guns in that configuration.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

New springs and 100 rounds through the parts gun and it’s an excellent shooter. Busted clays all day. Guess I need a parts gun now. This one shoots to good to not shoot it.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Haven’t posted for awhile lately, usually check every day to see what’s happening in the shotgun world, but not much going in the way of A5 problems. Thought I would update on another speed load conversion that I finished last night. I haven’t found a reliable way of using the old carrier spring that mounts to the receiver. The problem that I have found is that the spring isn’t strong enough to return the 2 piece lifter after inserting the first shell that should load into the chamber. The lifter will stick in the down position randomly. Played with several brands of springs, wolf, browning and even model 11. Also modified one to put more pressure on lifter but still not reliable time after time.
    As I have posted in the past, MWG has triggers that will convert front style safety to cross bolt. I have one on my 1936 and it looks great and functions flawlessly, however, a little pricey. It does do away with the carrier mounted spring, if your willing to do away with the rear pin in the receiver.
  4. Ranger6

So what about people that don’t want to spend 200 on that trigger from MWG. Well there is a solution that works like a charm, but everyone will tell you it won’t work. The light 12 trigger with trigger mounted spring will work and it functions nicely. The problem that you may have is after putting the light 12 trigger in, is that your stock may no longer fit correctly. It may be very tight and not slide all the way on. I had a light 12 stock that’s from an old gun, so thought I would try it. It slid right on. Looks like it came from the factory.
    This may not be for everyone, as some people don’t want it, if it’s not original, I am not a collector, that has safe queens. I shoot mine every chance I get. Simply making if function like, in my mind, it was suppose to is a great thing. Some like speed load and some don’t. I would venture to say that if you use it, you will like it and never want another gun that doesn’t have it.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I keep having to remind myself that when you say trigger, you mean trigger PLATE. No Auto-5 mounts the Carrier Spring to the Trigger.

An cheaper alternative to changing the plates is to drill a hole in the original to mount a cross bolt safety. Then you have a choice of changing the trigger, or modifying the original. The advantage of the latter is that both safeties would work.

Here’s an old style trigger:
    [​IMG]
    And a new style:
    [​IMG]

The tab in the back would have to be added to make the old style work with the new safety. The protrusion on the front of the old style works with the old safety.
  6. Ranger6

I stand corrected, your are correct sir. Guess my terms could be confusing. And yes that would work also. Not many are comfortable with drilling something like that, but I would do also. Prob is getting that hole perfect. Anything can be done with the correct time, money, knowledge, and equipment.
    The other issue is that the receiver mounted spring is pretty much gone, the trigger plate mounted one isn’t far behind. MWG is out of stock on the 12