A5 speed load conversion

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ranger6, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Just remembered something today from browning. They don’t support or service the a5 anymore. Was pointed toward Midwest gun works. Nice guys for sure, they got me on an order, but quickly processed a refund today. I like them cause they are veteran owned. Never used them for service. Always go to art for that. He is the best in my book.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I like Art’s too, and I get my parts at MGW. But I don’t know how long that will last. I tried to buy a hammer last week but it said DISCONTINUED and UNAVAILABLE.
    Luckily, Numrich had it.

You might call Art for advice before you spend all that money. I’m sure they’ve done plenty of Speed Load conversions.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yes I have considered it. Just know in my field( bmw mechanic) that after so many questions you wear out your welcome if your not spending money. I have purchased some things from Art, and they will do more work for me in the future, but somethings are trade secrets and like in my field, if anyone could do it, it wouldn’t cost so much to get it done, and you could do it yourself. Maybe not the case with Art, but as I work commission, time is money. I guess a respect thing.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I get it, but if he’s going to blue it for you...
  5. Ranger6

Makes since and I did call and talk to brad about it and he gave me a very fair price to do it. The other thing that’s going into this gun is a cross bolt safety that I am waiting to receive. Brad said when you get it all send it and we will get it done. Very fair. It was raining here sat so my idle hands are the devils workshop and decided to tackle it myself while waiting on parts. Hate to send a basket case or it get there and have them think, what a dumb ass. I am a person that don’t give up real easy. Sense of accomplishment I guess. You know my grandfather always told me, if you own a gun you ought to be able to fix it.
  6. Ranger6

The other thing is I have learned so much about these a5’s along the way. Still amazed at how Mr Browning designed this baby way back then. Sure would like to shake his hand. I guess he has probably rolled over several times for browning now getting away from his still flawless design.
    kumpe and Rudolph31 like this.
  7. Ranger6

I do like my guns with the gas piston but they just don’t compare. Period.
  8. Ranger6

Found 2 piece factory carrier today at numrich. Got on forums and ask for measurements of carrier, to my surprise they sent me measurements. Looks like this carrier( factory used) is about 1/8” shorter. I ordered it today so will update next week.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Good luck. My guess is that if it’s pre-58, it’ll work.
  10. Ranger6

Ok got new locking block latch and spring from Numrich today. Disassembled A5 again(prob 50 times now). Installed new spring and latch. Speed function works great and I can finally load 4 shells in magazine tube. 2 piece carrier clears shells and then some. It functions, but have yet to put lead down range. Tomorrow will be the final test. If all goes well then next will be cross bolt safety.
    I have learned a lot and many thanks to all that helped. If anyone is attempting this, be patient, don’t give up and open your wallet. If you need help, ask on here. There are very knowledgeable people in the ranks.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

OK, I’m confused. Did you install just the new Locking Block Latch or the shorter 2-Piece Carrier also?
  12. Ranger6

Just the new locking block latch and spring from numrich. The 2 piece carrier that I got from mwg is in there now. The 2 piece carrier from numrich that I ordered yesterday( the one numrich measured) is on the way.
  13. Ranger6

There was a big difference in the locking block latch from numrich and mwg. Don’t understand that but I’m at the range now, so we will see if it works
  14. Ranger6

Ok shot one box of shells. Speed function works great. Fires great. Last shell of 4 loaded didn’t eject and bolt did not lock to the rear. If my memory serves me right the carrier latch holds the bolt to the rear on last fired shell. Need to look at it. Probably need to replace it. Any thoughts Rudolph31?
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

ONE shell didn’t eject? I wouldn’t jump to conclusions. Most likely the oil had rubbed off of the magazine tube and the gun just had too much friction for the loads.

I used to set my guns up for heavy loads and then switch to the light setting after a box or two, but that got old real quick. Now unless I’m shooting buckshot or slugs I leave it on the light setting and put a couple drops of 30 weight on the tube.

So don’t go messing with your Carrier Latch. And it’s the Carrier Dog that engages the Operating Handle that holds the Bolt back. The Carrier Latch releases the Carrier which moves the Dog which releases the Handle...
    Ranger6 likes this.
  16. Ranger6

Yes sir, I did pull it apart and oiled the tube.
    Carrier dog is new, I will know more tomorrow. Shooting again. And it was almost every time I loaded 4 shells. The last one wouldn’t eject and bolt stayed foward. I shot one box cause there were just to many people. Thank you for clearing that up.
    I made progress so I’m pretty happy. Just need a little fine tuning.
  17. Ranger6

It is set up for light loads. Shooting 1 oz Remington loads. 1290 FPS. My normal shell. My silver won’t cycle anything else so I stick with 1290-1300.
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

1 oz. is pretty light for a 12 gauge, even at 1290 FPS. Try 1 1/8 oz. of anything except the cheap Winchester’s.

A few years ago on another forum someone posted about a similar problem where it was always the last shell that wouldn’t eject. It didn’t matter how many he loaded, that last shell stayed in there. I thought about it and was pretty sure I came up with the answer.
  19. Ranger6

So the problems continue. I’m at a loss on this one.

Attached Files:

20. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

One problem at a time! I found my 5 year old post. In part:

“First, the next shell out of the magazine rests on the nose of the Locking Block Latch, which is pinned to the bottom of the Breech Block. This adds Magazine Spring pressure to the recoil force when the gun is fired. This pressure doesn't last long, as the shell is caught by the Cartridge Stop as soon as the Barrel and Breech Block recoil, but it is the only difference the presence an additional shell could make.”

Stouter shells, more lubricant, and proper ring set up are the usual answers. But I also mentioned this:

“Last, you don't say if this happens when somebody else shoots the gun. Recoil guns need to be held firmly and will jam if they aren't--just as a 1911 will stovepipe when not held correctly. This could be a factor. If you hold a little tighter to your shoulder the problem might disappear.”