A5 Magnum Manufacture Date...

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by 1971Chevelle, Feb 20, 2020.

1. 1971Chevelle

1971Chevelle Copper BB

I have an A5 Magnum that I am trying to figure out the manufacture date on. The serial number begins with VL (followed by a 5 digit number), which does not match any of the online sources that I have checked. If anyone can help me figure this out, your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I am also attaching a picture of the stamping, so that maybe someone can tell me which choke this one has, along with another stamping photo (maybe manufacture date??) IMG_2662.jpg 20200217_191618.jpg 20200217_191713.jpg .
  2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I don't have my bible right here, so I can't help with the date of birth, but based on the picture, since it has a squared pistol grip, it would be after 66/67-provided that is the original wood.
    The "12-75" means it is 12 gauge, and a magnum length chamber (75mm/3"). The single star (which actually looks more like an asterik) in the middle picture usually means a full choke, but I didn't think that would be where it is. Usually the choke marking is on the side of the barrel on either side, a few inches forward from the receiver. The choke marking will be at either 3 or 9 o'clock-usually pretty close to where the forearm wood meets the barrel.
    With it being a magnum, more than likely it will have one star (Full choke) or possibly a single star with an underscore next to it (improved modified), or even two stars (modified). I am inclined to think the majority of magnums are full choke.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’d like to see a picture of the serial number. As for the choke, the photos don’t show it. Look for this:

[​IMG]
    win7stw likes this.
  4. 1971Chevelle

1971Chevelle Copper BB

Those are the only stamps aside from the serial number. All three stamps were hidden underneath the fore grip area.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’d like to see it as well. I’m not believing the VL portion of the serial number
  6. 1971Chevelle

1971Chevelle Copper BB

I will post a picture of the first four digits, as I do not post complete serial number online.

20200217_191714.jpg
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’ve never understood that. Unless you stole it...
  8. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Are those numbers located on the bottom of the receiver, on the front ledge? That font doesn't look quite "right", for some reason.

The "ELG" and the double squiggly question mark lookin" things are merely proof marks. Common ones actually. Another way we can narrow it down a little more is by what is stamped on the barrel, in regards to where it lists locations. It should say (on the left side of the barrel) BROWNING ARMS COMPANY ST LOUIS Mo & MONTREAL P.Q. . Under that should be MADE IN BELGIUM The right side will say SPECIAL STEEL and then the shell gauge and shell length. This would date the barrel between 1963 and 1968

or (left side) BROWNING ARMS COMPANY MORGAN, UTAH & MONTREAL P.Q. On the right side BROWNING AUTO5, the code for which choke, SPECIAL STEEL , then I think the gauge and length of the shell (2 3/4" or 3") , barrel length and then BROWNING PATENTS. This would say it was 1969 -1976.

The bible doesn't help with that serial number. I have a pretty old 12 gauge, original finish and wood, made in 1925 (as I recall), and the serial numbers are not stamped evenly in regards to depth. Spacing and sizing looks good, but they get lighter as they progress, with the last two digits fairly tough to make out. (Good thing they were stamped on the barrel back then!!) At first when I found it, I thought someone leaned a little too hard on it when buffing it for a re-blue, but upon inspection, one can tell it is the original finish.

I am curious what year this magnum is!!
  9. 1971Chevelle

1971Chevelle Copper BB

It would be very easy for someone in this day and age to cause problems by claiming it is their firearm, just from the serial number being posted. There are also search bots that look for pictures, and they catalog any firearm serial numbers that they find.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, cover the digits you want to hide with tape, and give us a view with better perspective. That photo doesn’t look like the loading port.
    Bill Idaho likes this.
  11. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

There are robots counting serial numbers now?
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I should add that there are numbers on the barrel that are sometimes mistaken for the serial number. The actual serial number appears on the bottom of the receiver, just forward of the loading port.

[​IMG]
  13. 1971Chevelle

1971Chevelle Copper BB

There only 3 digits stamped in front of the loading port. I took some more pictures. I had missed something stamped on the side of the barrel - two stars in front of the special steel message. I am including a couple more pictures.

DSC05119.jpg DSC05121.jpg DSC05122.jpg
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

VL11*** is not the serial number. When serial numbers were marked on barrels they were on the barrel ring. They quit that in 1953, by the way, five years before the first Magnum. The two stars indicate a modified choke.

Among the proof marks there is a date code we could use to date your gun, but since 1958 the year has become part of the serial number. The first one or (if post 1967) two digits are the year, followed by a “V”, then the serial number. So if yours reads “7V9” that would be the 9th Magnum manufactured in 1967.

You can remove the tape now.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  15. 1971Chevelle

1971Chevelle Copper BB

The digits on ahead of the loading port are 7V, then a 7 below those two digits. If the VL isn't the serial number, than I have no idea where it is. I looked over the entire firearm and there is nothing else stamped anywhere that I can see.
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

7V7 is your serial number. The second 7 is below the first two digits to leave room for up to four more digits. I should have pointed that out, but it slipped my mind. The prefix is always on a separate line.

You’ve got to admit, I guessed pretty damned close.
  17. 1971Chevelle

1971Chevelle Copper BB

So this one was made in 1967??