A5 3 shot need help

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Chuck dearman, Nov 8, 2016.

1. I have a Browning 16 gauge A5 3shot, serial A15402. Looking for information on year manufactured and approximate value. I understand it may have been made around 1946. The gun is in excellent condition.
    Thanks,
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Chuck,

I have a suspicion that your serial number appears on the side of the receiver. Is that correct?
  3. Yes and there is a stamped 3 shot on the forearm.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Browning had two runs of 16 gauge Auto-5's with an A prefix, and it's difficult to sort them out. But Remington made guns for Browning during WWII when Belgium was occupied. These "American Brownings" were actually Remington Model 11's with a magazine cutoff and Browning engraving added. The serial number appeared on the side instead of the bottom and the 16 gauge had an A prefix.

To date your gun, you may be able to find a code on the barrel and look it up on the Remington website or on this link:

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940941/serialization-date of manufacture.pdf
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  5. I will take a look. Thanks for all your help.
  6. Looked up the link and no luck. My barrel # matched the gun but the barrel has XxRR stamped, no numbers. There is also a II inside a square border and a BR inside a oval. Could these be makers marks?
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

RR could stand for November, 1924 -- which makes no sense, or some unknown month of 1946 -- which does. "X" is the code for December, but there should only be one of them, I think.

Please post some pictures, it would be interesting to see the differences on your American Browning.
  8. I will upload some this evening.
  9. Trying to upload but having file size problems.
  10. Finally...

Attached Files:

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Best to use 600x600 pixels here...
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don't know what's going on, but I am unable to post pictures.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  13. Good Luck, maybe Shooter13 can help?
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I've probably posted a hundred photos on this site, maybe I've hit my limit...

Anyway, your 16 is easily differentiated from a Belgian by the shape of the receiver -- Remington's are flat across the bottom and beginning in 1904 FN added a reinforcing bump. Remington scaled down the 12 gauge to make the 16, but JMB shortened the receiver of his design so that part of the barrel extension stuck out. The Remington's receiver is "textured" on the top. And there are obvious differences in the engraving.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  15. Thanks for sharing the information. Any idea of the vintage?
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

RR is the code for 1946, which I think is the last year Remington made the guns for Browning. FN resumed production that year.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  17. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

No problem on this end of the forum...no member photo limit...Photobucket OK too.

[​IMG]
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It works from the mainframe! I just "upgraded" to iOS 10.11, maybe that's the problem.

Another point to mention, FN used a Garand style safety until 1951. The Remington used a cross bolt design since 1928.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  20. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Glad you figured it out...