.410 citori lightening won't lock closed

Discussion in 'Browning Citori Shotgun' started by tarpon hunter, Nov 30, 2014.

1. I bought my first citori (used) from a friend recently. He said it wasn't shot much at all and was in good shape. I've shot about 6 rounds of skeet with it, without a hitch. Today when I went to shoot, it wouldn't lock closed. The top lever stayed to the side and the triggers didn't reset. The barrels look aligned with the receiver but the lever could not be moved toward the center. I figured maybe it was dirty or just needed to be lubed.
    We took the stock off and it looked very clean but dry, so we lubed it. With the barrel and stock off, the lever came back to center (and the locking bolt moved forward and back as well) but still when the barrels were mounted and receiver closed, the lever remains to the side. Like somehow the locking bolt isn't completely engaging in the groove on the barrels, holding the lever out to the side. Any help will be appreciated.
  2. Jeff

Jeff Copper BB

I had the same issue with my Citori 16 Gran Lightening.
    Turns out the Shells I was using had the Head Spacing incorrect, they were .020 oversize, that would not let the barrels close and seat correctly.
    After resizing the shells to the correct Head Spacing,everything worked fine.
    These were not reloads, they were brand new factory loads.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’ve had the same issue with my 12 gauge 425 using Remington Gun Clubs
  4. Garwood

Garwood Copper BB

May not be applicable. I had a couple of times that a piece of shot had gotten lodged under the ejector. It was smashed pretty flat but that kept the top lever from coming to the correct place.