3 shot Stealth Sweet 16

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Oct 27, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Progress pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The other forearm is off a different gun that I’m still trying to get the oil out of the stock. The 3 shot forearm is about 5 coats behind the stock.
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Both off these forearms were cracked on the bottom. Repairs turned out ok[​IMG]
    Ranger6 likes this.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Looks awesome
    win7stw likes this.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks man
  5. Biz

Biz 20g

Nice job Justin. How about the pachmayr pad, did you have to grind it? What is hard to fit it to the stock? I have a few stocks that need the pachmayr pad to be replace.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks Marc. I did have to grind the pad. They are pretty easy to grind. I use a Miles Gilbert grinding fixture and used a belt/disc sander. I’ll send post the links in a minute
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I followed his instructions and have done a few with success
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Update time. The butt is done with oil. Time to chase the checkering and then seal that. The forearm needs a few coats yet. My pad is a little strong too so I might have to fix that. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My tape leaked a little when I did the French Red Filler. That will get cleaned up when I chase the checkering
    Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.
  10. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Looks excellent Justin. Did you recut the checkering?
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Not yet
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Haven’t finished the checkering yet but I had to put it together and see how it looks. I’ll probably finish it this weekend. Had to put it next to my 47 stealth for comparison

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.
  13. Ranger6

Looks awesome. Sure is some pretty wood.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well I finally finished it and had a chance to take some pictures outside. I can’t wait for my gun club to open.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  15. Ranger6

damn sir that is pretty sweet. Just one thing wrong....... not in a box on its way to texas for me. guess you can deliver next time your here. wood looks amazing. making me jealous, need to do my sweet. stock is now loose on it.
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks buddy. If I ever drive down there I’ll bring a few and we can go shoot. From what I can see fixing the loose stock should be a pretty easy fix.

I think I found another project that was severely abused. Hopefully I can get it for the right price.
  17. Ranger6

I have watched art’s video. Just glue a dowl in there and drill the hole again for the bolt. I would like to
    have a trigger like the one in the video so I don’t screw it up
  18. Biz

Biz 20g

Very nice Justin. In retrospective, would you follow the same refinishing route if you were to redo it?
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I think so. The next set I do I’m going to try the darker stock filler from Art. With that said do you think I should try something else?
  20. Biz

Biz 20g

Not necessarily, when you say darker, it is in the red or brown tone? I am going, soon, to work the stocks you acquired for me and I am tempted to try aniline dye. I like the dye because it doesn’t hide the wood grain and it penetrate the wood fiber.