.243 accuracy on paper

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by RegisG, Feb 17, 2014.

1. RegisG

RegisG Copper BB

Now that I've shot my new 30 '06 BAR, I just love it for my hunting needs (sub moa @100yds). Now, I want to get one for more fun shooting. And, for me that means accuracy on paper at 100, 200,+ yards.
    So, before I order, I'd like opinions from .243 BAR owners. BTW, I'm left handed and prefer the LH version of these rifles so, I'm limited to those calibers.

Appreciate any experiences.
    Regis
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

The .243 is based on a necked down .308 cartridge case. Initially designed as a varmint round, it's bullet weights range from 55 grains up to 115 grains. Twist rate of barrel is the major deciding factor in which bullets to use, 1:10 being the most popular as it is sufficient to stabilize up to 100 grain bullets.
  3. timbrowning

timbrowning .22LR

My experience with my 270 BAR is that it is harder to load for and find an accurate load, but it can be done. Autoloaders may have some inherent issues like lower velocities due to part of the pressure being used to cycle the action, more vibration, and stiffer/squishy triggers. But the 243 is an accurate round, no doubt, and given you know this from your 06 I think you would have a real fun time with one in 243.
  4. nitesite

nitesite .410

Boy, I sure do like the .243 cartridge. It can be insanely accurate.

I like to call it the "6mm-08" just to screw with people and they think I'm talking about some sort of wildcat cartridge nobody has ever heard of. I look dead serious when I say, "It's a necked down 7mm-08." and they have a lightbulb moment and then they start nodding... "Yeah. Yeah... I can see that working pretty well for coyotes and stuff." <grin>

Other than slightly accelerated throat erosion I cannot think of a negative reason to hold somebody back from having a fun range rifle they will shoot a lot.