223 BLR dent on the case

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by liybzd, Apr 17, 2017.

1. liybzd

liybzd Copper BB

Hello everyone, new BLR owner here, my 223 BLR always put a dent right below the shoulder of the brass, anyone has the same issue? I tried some steel case ammo and the steel is hard enough that the gun didn't leave any mark. I don't know if the brass if safe to reload, any ideas? Thanks!
    Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 1.51.39 AM.png
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

As far as your question...I've seen people claim the same marking on their brass...but I've never experienced it. Not sure as to the cause...
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
  3. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

No, I do not experience this with my BLR. I have experienced it with autoloaders sometimes. Whether I reload such a case is a matter of how deep and/or abrupt the dent is, and a judgment call by me.

Do your cases get the dent even if you open the lever very slowly and carefully after firing, and gently remove the fired case from the chamber/rifle?
    liybzd likes this.
  4. liybzd

liybzd Copper BB

Thanks for your reply, I tried your suggestion and there was almost no dent on the case, only a couple of long scratches. Open the lever at normal speed always leave a dent.
    Is your BLR chambered in 223 as well?
  5. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Mine is chambered for 243 Win.

I wonder what part, exactly, the case is hitting during ejection that makes that mark...
    Is there some part of the rifle that shows brass-colored marks on it, from the cases hitting it? I wouldn't have thought that the back of the ejection port could make that small & deep of a dent, but maybe it can. Can you see something standing proud inside and forward (toward the barrel) of the ejection port that might do it? I can only think of the locking lug recesses in the barrel extension just off-hand, but maybe there's something else?
  6. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Looks like the extractor is hitting the shell hard. Semiautomatics do the same thing. My ARs spit dented shells all the time.
    As far as if it is safe to reload, I wouldn't think it would be a problem (unless there is a hole or crack), but I will leave it to the reloading pros here. All I reload are shotgun shells. Good luck!
  7. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

As far as reloading that case, that dent will not be a problem. It is only a cosmetic issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk
  8. Norske

Norske .410

Is the spent case hitting the bottom of a scope turret?