1978 auto 5 extractor follower question

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Bustabeak, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Bustabeak

Bustabeak Copper BB

Hello, so my auto 5 broke the left extractor over the weekend of opening dove season. So I went ahead and purchased right and left extractors and springs. I also purchased the right hand extractor spring follower. This is the part I have the question on. On the right extractor, when I pull it out it’s got the spring and a small pin (I’m assuming that was the follower). So the new follower I purchased looks completely different. However when installed with the new follower, there isn’t as much spring in the extractor. With the old pin ( follower I’m assuming) the extractor is just touching the spring only. I’m not certain that the old pin is doing anything. Could anyone give some insight on that? Or how it should be? I will attach two pics. The first will be of the way it was removed. Old spring, pin, and extractor. The second pic is of the new follower.

Attached Files:

2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Bustabreak: yes I have seen this, as my sweet 16 did the same thing. I have all the parts new just like you. I actually ended up keeping the pin that was originally in there, I believe that pin serves as a stop. If I’m not mistaken the follower I got was for the carrier dog, obviously the wrong thing. Parts mix up I guess. Anyway I just replaced the broken extractor and it has worked fine every since. The part you have is #13 on Midwest diagram. Unless there is something wrong with the old stuff, I would go back with it. If I remember correctly it was a little bit of a pita to get the pin and spring back in there.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    win7stw and Rudolph31 like this.
  3. Bustabeak

Bustabeak Copper BB

Yes, exactly. I did put it back the way it came. And it seems to work fine.
    When viewing the parts diagram on Midwest gun works the follower that I purchased didn’t technically show in the diagram. When I clicked the spring it had it listed alongside it. And yes, it was a bit troublesome to put in. I put it it originally and it didn’t seem that the extractor had the travel that it had originally. So I removed the follower and it shot across the room never to be seen again. So I just went back with the pin like it was originally.

Attached Files:

4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

The odd thing is I have another one that the pin wasn't even in there at all. Not sure if someone had it apart(likely) or browning just deleted it for whatever reason. It seems that the pin serves as a stop, but it also keeps that spring where its suppose to be, maybe keeping the spring from wearing out as fast. Maybe Rudolph31 or someone else can chime in on it. Unless you have replaced one, its likely you won't know. Perhaps Art has covered this in one of his video's
  5. Bustabeak

Bustabeak Copper BB

I tried to give arts a call. But I believe they are just hesitant to give advice over the phone. Which I understand that. I’ll search his videos!
  6. Bustabeak

Bustabeak Copper BB

After watching a video on arts YouTube, he was working in a sweet 16. And when installing the extractors he only put the springs in. No followers or pins….. on either extractor. So I’m assuming it doesn’t need a follower, but to be safe, I’ll leave the pin in.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  7. Ranger6

I have people call the shop wanting advice or questions how to fix over the phone all the time, you never know who your talking to or their skill set. So if you give the wrong advice someone could get hurt. If you have done some business with Art and you actually get Art on the phone he will talk to you. Remember he is in business to make money, so if he tells everyone how to fix over the phone, he won't be in business long.
    I think we got our answer, that its not needed, but like you I'm leaving the pin in mine. Like you, mine went flying across the room also. That's an hour I will never get back. Little bastard was hard to find.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  8. Bustabeak

Bustabeak Copper BB

Definitely. I just wish someone like art was close by my place. Hard to find someone with the A5 knowledge he’s got! But as you said, I know he’s gotta make money. That why I didn’t push too hard to get info on the phone. Thanks again!