1971 superposed serial numbers

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by TIM TOWN, Feb 20, 2020.

1. TIM TOWN

TIM TOWN Copper BB

I’m looking into buying a 20ga 1971 superposed. The serial number does not match up with what the Browning website list. Serial number reads 895v71. Any help would be appreciated also gun is in amazing condition. Curious of what a fair price would be? Thank you.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The Browning website was is incomplete and error ridden. Your serial number is consistent with those used from 1963 to 1976.

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940941/serialization-date of manufacture.pdf

As far as value as is concerned, I’m no expert, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it brought $2000, maybe more. The best way to find out is to see what similar guns on Gun Broker actually sold for. That’s not the same as looking at asking prices.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I checked and found these:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/854023950

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/855735754

I have no idea why their price differed by $1000. Hopefully you do.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Anatidae likes this.
  3. TIM TOWN

TIM TOWN Copper BB

Thank you so much for the information! I can’t quite tell the difference between the two guns that you shared a like to. I was prepared to give $2000 for the gun and it makes me a lot more comfortable now after what you’ve said. It’s also a lighting model if that changes anything.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It may, but I’m not familiar enough with the type to say how much, or even which way. But it may be a while before you see another one, so if you really want it, don’t let it get away.
    Anatidae likes this.
  5. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

If the gun has a V71 suffix, then it is a 20ga (V) made in 1971 (71). I have also seen some high-grade FN Superposed 12ga with an S1 suffix (also for 1971), but this is not commonly seen in the US. I suppose the same could apply to FN high-grade 20ga Superposed for 1971 (with a V1 suffix). But this seems to have occurred in 1971, only. I wouldn't expect to see a Browning-marketed Superposed with this anomalous gauge/year scheme.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I was hoping you would show up, Anatidae. Maybe you can explain the price difference of the two 20 gauge Supers in the links. They look the same to me.
  7. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

The first link is to a 1968 serial numbered gun - salt year era. I don't see any visible areas that may be affected.

The second link is to a 1963 serial numbered gun, even though it is incorrectly described as a 1973 example.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Thanks, so the OP’s 1971 is worth less because it’s possibly a salt gun?
  9. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Not necessarily. I won't speculate what the OP's '71 is worth without a description and excellent photos confirming details including metal surfaces exposed after removal of the stock and forearm. If it is not salt-affected, then $2000 is a reasonable valuation for a 'shooter' '71 20ga Grade I (IMO), depending on what his definition of 'amazing condition' might be.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  10. TIM TOWN

TIM TOWN Copper BB

A3891FF7-604F-43EF-B3B7-F94FC6C74387.jpeg BCDD0A92-6235-472C-B435-AAF596A4C858.jpeg A299D924-51B7-40B8-B098-2977C867C66A.jpeg Update here’s some photos.
  11. TIM TOWN

TIM TOWN Copper BB

12. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

If the dog likes it - I like it.

I see nothing that would raise concern about salt-affected wood. Wood-to-metal condition on yours appears unblemished.

I had a 1970 .410 that didn't evidence a problem until 1996. So chances are, if nothing has shown-up by now, it's probably OK.

As far as value - I think you're in good shape at the $2k mark. It could be worth more but value depends on so many little details.....bore condition, bbl length, chokes, condition of wood finish and checkering, whether it has a recoil pad or a butt plate, lever position (a rough indicator of degree of use).....and how saturated the market is at a given time for the various configurations (wood and bbl). But in the price range of these guns, we're not dealing with a wide range of variance on price - we just try to avoid paying 'too much', based on our current knowledge of the details and the market.

i.e., the market for 20ga Gr I RKLT 26-1/2" field guns is severely saturated. I bought 2 in 2004 and 2006 for $3295 and $2795. I sold them in the last 2 years and 'netted' my money back. Both buyers told me they were in better condition than they'd hoped. So I sold them too cheap I guess.

The trouble with so many to choose from is, you have to wade through inaccuracies and falsehoods in sellers' representation, to find an honest gun at a decent value.

Nice gun - Thanks for sharing the thrill of the hunt - 'didn't cost me a dime.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Auzzie and Rudolph31 like this.
  13. struff55

struff55 Copper BB

V71 is the correct date and number that is on the gun nothing else matters the book is incorrect