1965 Twenty question

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by ks114, Oct 8, 2022.

1. ks114

ks114 Copper BB

Hi all, Went to the gun show this morning a picked up a user grade Twenty. Has a recoil pad. Pulled the pad off as I always do (to check for old licenses and such) . The hollowed out cavity has a wood plug made in the shape of the hole. Has anyone else seen this before?
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’ve never seen that and I’ve had a lot of stocks go through my hands
  3. ks114

ks114 Copper BB

Sounds hollow underneath. Might try to chisel it out
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Maybe it was added when the pad was installed so they had something to screw the pad onto?
  5. ks114

ks114 Copper BB

No holes in the plug. I can’t upload a pic for some reason
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I agree never seen anything like that. Do you know why you can't post pic's? What are you using to try and post? If you need help, I might be able to walk you through it. Just let me know.
  7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

ks114 likes this.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That doesn’t appear to be factory. Chisel that out of there
  10. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Can you weigh it, and find a similar stock without the plug, and weight that one? Compare. Possibly a metal weight was place inside? I ain't never seen nuthin" like that.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  11. ks114

ks114 Copper BB

[​IMG]I’m going to drill/chisel it out. Maybe money in there
    antman73 likes this.
  12. Ranger6

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    ks114 likes this.
  13. ks114

ks114 Copper BB

Got the plug out of the stock. It was just about 1/2” thick and glued in. Nothing inside. I don’t know what it could have possibly been for.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I can’t post pics anymore
  15. Ranger6

Yep it has got you too. I seen your deleted test.I figured that was it. I know there is an update for the website. I was warned last week, but didn’t think it would cause problems.