1959 magnum question.

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Bill Idaho, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I have the opportunity to appropriate another A5 (like that's an understatement!) but I have a question. The bible doesn't really address what I need to know.
    It shows it's a 1959. Someone cut about 4" off the butt stock and installed a recoil pad of some sort-leaving it with an LOP suitable for someone the size of my 9 year old grand daughter! The bluing looks really good, as does the rest of the wood-notwithstanding the shortening mentioned. I can see the usual amount of dried WD40 inside- the telltale brownish/orange shellac looking stuff is easy to see. (At least it got something sprayed inside at some point.) I pulled the (uncracked) front wood off and saw it has the twin-spring set up, however I noticed it has one steel friction ring, and a single BFR that is about 5/16" wide.
    My ultimate question is----Does the twin spring system only utilize a single friction ring and lone BFR, or should it at least have the customary two BFRs my other magnums have? With a single steel friction ring and single BFR, I can't see how a guy could set it up for lighter loads (relatively speaking)
    This, should I accept the mission, will be my first magnum with the twin-spring system (which is kinda why I am looking real hard at it.)
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

If you want it to shoot light loads it’s not gonna do it with old 2 springs or one new spring. The only way to make that happen is with light spring and set up like one. My mag had all the extra pieces. The new spring will be one stiffer spring, but for the mag loads it needs everything to be set up properly, now that being said you may get it to work with mag loads, with some other combination, you may not like the recoil that comes with it
  3. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

So...........the twin springs with one friction ring and one small BFR is all it should have?

I won't lose any sleep if it will or won't shoot lighter loads. (I already got a couple of my magnums to reliably shoot dove/quail loads, I am eyeballing this one since it is a twin spring version.) I just want to make certain it has the correct parts.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

no sir, go to Midwest gun works and look up parts, there is an exploded view for the mag stuff. to my knowledge the twin spring isn't special, just hasn't been replaced. The square spring like on my 1909 is rare, cant get those anymore
  5. Ranger6

Here you go. Damn fingers aren’t work today.

Attached Files: