Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, May 9, 2020.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I can load just 3 if I want...
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I can too however the game wardens require 3. Pheasant is expensive enough per pound.
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Texas same. Get caught without a plug by game warden and you just lost all game, gun, license and usually what ever your driving at the time, fine and maybe jail.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

They can do the same here and then you can buy your gun and vehicle back at the state auction.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Tried to take it apart tonight for some TLC and I broke my screwdriver for the lock screws. None of them will budge. Currently giving them a kroil soak
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’ll bet you have the Grace screwdrivers.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have a set from Art. I might have to make my own tomorrow
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I got the lock screws out. Had to grind my own screw stick That’s as far as I’m going today. I think this gun is pretty nasty inside.
  10. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

That’s a good lick. Glad to hear you got them out.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Had time to take some outside pictures. My wife thinks I’m crazy when I drag my toys outside for photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

So I stripped this turd tonight. Pretty sure it’s never been cleaned. I am taking all the internals into work tomorrow so I can put them in the ultrasonic cleaner. When I pulled the recoil spring off you could tell where every coil was at on the magazine tube because the oil had turned to varnish. So much crud behind the bolt. There is no way this thing would have functioned.
  14. Ranger6

You would be surprised. When I got the 1909 it was the same way. Thought I would try it before I cleaned just to see. It fired a whole box of shells without missing a lick. These guns were made to hunt and hunt hard. No one had money back then to waste on shit that wouldn’t put food on the table. The a5 would have never survived if not. I never seen my granddad clean his a5. He always said this thing is a real damn gun. It won’t stop until you stop.
    win7stw likes this.
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I couldn’t lock the bolt by pushing on the barrel
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Before I get crucified I meant breach block not bolt
  17. Ranger6

Yea that normally a problem. Hope the cleaning fixes that part. Sure it will need new springs. I know what you were talking about. I’m ok with the bolt. Even know I know some are not.
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I can’t imagine who you’re talking about. I say bolt also, only occasionally using the proper Breech Block.
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Do you guys think it’s necessary to change the magazine spring or not?
  20. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Magazine springs are cheap. Why not whilst you're freshening it up?
    Rudolph31 likes this.