1939 Sweet

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Jun 2, 2021.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Picked up this beauty today. I’m thinking this is kind of a rare one. It’s an unmarked Sweet Sixteen with a vent rib barrel with 5 holes in the ring. I’m not crazy about it being full choked but I can load spreaders or swap barrels. This one might go to Art for a complete refurb as it has some gorgeous wood on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Damn two nice ones. I’m jealous.
    win7stw likes this.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Pretty happy to land this one. Now me and each of my boys have a “stealth” sweet
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Hey you forgot your long lost son in Texas!
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Somehow the math doesn’t add up there
    Ranger6 likes this.
  7. Ranger6

You using one of those China calculators?
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Nice piece. That wood has some nice features.
    So can somebody take time to enlighten my to why the 16 ga is so desirable amongst all. I see on G I that they command a $ premium. Is it a hunting carrying benefit thing for weight or more a traditional collectable aspect thing? Be kind it is a genuine question remembering gauged guns don’t exist here in any form here or that few it’s unheard of.
  9. Ranger6

Auzzie: I believe it hits like 12 and carry’s like a 20. I’m sure the long history helps out, and some believe that it was/is a true gentleman’s gun.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Very nice, congratulations.
  11. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Ok got you . A nostalgia aspect. Don’t know what it’s like to actually carry a 20 but I get it. Autos are too regulated and boo hissed here to be allowed to hunt with. Last I got to carry one in the field was 1989
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Nostalgia today, but 100 years ago a 16 was what a gentleman used. And I believe it’s still popular in Europe. Most of the high end Auto-5’s are 16’s. 12’s were for market hunters.
  13. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

That’s interesting. The gentry here 12g but only fine English bird gun doubles like purdey , manton or greener . Auto was for the commoner.
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

So, neither the 16 or 20 gauge made it to Australia? Seems strange. The 20 gauge is almost as popular as the 12 in the US. Also, competitive Skeet shoots 12, 20, 28, and .410.
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I like the 16’s because of the weight savings. 12 gauge Auto 5’s get pretty heavy if you carry them all day.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  16. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Just the odd rare gauge gun until very recent times few mordern versions have popped up for hunting.. Gauge shells never manufactured here ever and way way expensive. Shooting gauges in skeet is tube sets only came round late 90s and only do it for state and national champs once a year. 410 was around as single shot but pretty much exclusive for dealing with venomous snakes n rabbits for table
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  17. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

regardless nice gun win7 and sure you will do it justice
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’ve been shooting my “One of Five Thousand” Miroku made Auto-5 while my main shooter is in the shop. It does get heavy just carrying it around the Skeet field.
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Cleaned this one up too. This one is in pristine shape. Can’t wait to shoot this one Thursday
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Shot my first two rounds of skeet for the year with this last night. Shot a pair of 23’s. Missed all of the high house birds at station 5.
    Rudolph31 likes this.