1938 12 gauge

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Apr 11, 2021.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Picked this beater up the other day. It’s a 1938 12 gauge all numbers matching. The barrel is a solid rib with **- it might be my new skeet gun. The chunk out of the stock might test my repair abilities but I don’t think it’ll be too bad. It’s a little rough but I like it. It also came with an extra 27.5” barrel with an aftermarket Poly choke and a RamLine synthetic stock set.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Looks like a good find. That wood should clean up real nice.
    win7stw likes this.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Looks Great! Both barrels will be good for Skeet. I like the weight the Poly puts at the end of the barrel. But lately I’ve been shooting a straight IC as one of the petals broke off my Poly Choke. Shot 50 straight with it so maybe, on an Auto-5, it’s not that critical.
    win7stw likes this.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks fellas I think it was a good buy. I scored it for $525 shipped
    Rudolph31 and antman73 like this.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

What loads are you using in yours?
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

1 1/8 oz of #8 or 7 1/2 @ 1200fps. The club sells Challenger and lately Remington. And I just bought some Federals at Walmart.

Basically, whatever I can get!
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I like 1 one ounce loads at 1250 FPS. Hopefully it’ll cycle them.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I just stripped this gun down and it’s is disgusting. I’ll throw all the parts in the ultrasonic cleaner at work tomorrow
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

10. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Here is 38 12 ga matching wood I picked up last year that is close number wise. Yours is more appealing and pretty !!!! Just started stripping wood.

Attached Files:

Rudolph31 likes this.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Very nice Aussie. I can’t wait to see it when you are done. It’ll be awhile before I get to work on mine.
  12. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Great to see all these projects. I’ll be following this, interested in how the wood is replaced in that stock. How cool would it have been if the seller still had the chunk that broke off!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The seller said he had it but he couldn’t find it. I think I’ll be able to fix it pretty well
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Finally had time to assemble the gun tonight and the action is smooth as silk. I need to order some new springs from MGW. The action and magazine springs are really rusty. I’ve never seen so much rust on the inside of a gun. I don’t understand how the exterior isn’t a rusted mess
    Ranger6 likes this.
  15. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Good to see it turned out well, for now anyway. I know it won't be long until that wood looks brand new. You make me jealous with all those wood projects.
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

This one might take me longer. I took a different position at work so I don’t have the ability to do “government” projects at work anymore. On top of that I’ve been working 7 twelve hour days with two hours of commuting so I don’t have a ton of free time right now. As long as it’s done by hunting season I’ll be happy
  17. Ranger6

Damn they trying to kill you. That makes for long days, weeks and months. I get it for sure. My work is picking up and it’s hot as hell down here already. It will be there, when you get time.
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Some updates on this gun. The seller contacted me and was wondering if I wanted to trade the poly choked barrel plus $100 for a 28” Invector barrel. I couldn’t say no to that offer. I also found a good deal on some used stocks so instead of repairing the original one I refinished one of these turds. One of the others made its way to Texas for Ranger.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Here is my progress so far on the stock. It needs to cure for a week and then I will hit it with some burlap or a fine scotchbrite pad

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Or do I leave the sheen the way it is?
    Ranger6 likes this.