1924 Browning Type??

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, I’m done. The freckling of rust came off easily with a little 0000 steel wool and some oil. After taking pictures I saw that I missed some spots. Another day. I have to shoot it first.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    win7stw likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

You missed a spot! nice work, looks way better. I was posting that as you were posting. Anyway I was just giving you a hard time. I think you should send that one to Art.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I left most of the parts to marinate overnight in mineral spirits. Today I cleaned them up, blasted them with compressed air, and sprayed them with this stuff.[​IMG]
    It’s aviation lubricant. But since I don’t have a plane anymore, I might as well use it on my guns.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Several spots! But it’ll do for now. Except for the stock, I don’t really think it needs to see Art. Unless the rust comes back…
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Get a fine brass bristle brush to clean up the rest of the rust in the engraving. Kroil will help to but LPS is good stuff too.

That thing looks amazing now
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

[​IMG]

Mine doesn’t match any of them, Biz. Notice that the engraving is as long as the receiver address above it. And there’s a border around it.

Also, artist or not, would you do extra work if you weren’t getting paid for it?
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Some more pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

It cleaned up nice!
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Thank you! I spent the day on it. But yesterday it was hard to even pull the bolt back. Today it glides like it’s brand new. You wouldn’t believe how dry it was in there.

Surprisingly, the bore was clean. I almost didn’t want to throw away the patch dripping with clean Hoppe’s. Waste not want not…
  10. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Ok what’s up with what looks to be D=70/20 and what’s after it?
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Chamber dimensions! 70mm x 20mm. That’s before they did the 12-70 marking.

Edit: You asked what’s after it. P. O. K 926 means the weight (poids) of the barrel is zero kilograms, 926 grams.
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
  12. Ranger6

Ok makes sense now. Never seen one like that. Thanks
  13. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Wish I would have known you guys back when I stumbled on the new old stock browning stock warehouse. I had the stock and forend for that gun and sold it with all the other stuff nib. If you seen the pics you would throw rocks at me.
    That gun deserves the 12ga stuff I sold. But it did finance all my stuff.
    I will keep an eye out for you guys now.
    Ranger6 and Rudolph31 like this.
  14. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

You did good job cleaning it up. Whatever product and technique worked a treat. Looks a real silk purse transformation.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  15. Biz

Biz 20g

View attachment 2875 View attachment 2874
    Very interesting hypothesis. How about the other way around. We know that Rudolph new acquisition was probably destined for the European market. May be the FN thought that Nimschke style engraving would be a nice novelty for their European client. Following Wikipedia, "Many engravers emulated Louis Daniel Nimschke style, which has become known today as "Nimschke School" or "New York Style" of engraving". It looks like Rudolph may have found a rarity.
    Here are a Remington M11 and M10 in D grade with the Nimschke style engraving.

DF19BDB4-A7EC-4278-B294-4E581ABDCA70.jpeg
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, I’ve broken out my copy of SV, and I still can’t find any guns that match mine exactly. I did however see that “by 1926 FN recognized the need to organize and streamline their small in-house engraving shop”, and hired Felix Funken to do it. My gun was made in 1924. SV also says that the engravers had idiosyncratic styles. So pre-1926 things were a lot less standardized.

Here are the early (circa 1909) and later (circa 1922) styles from SV pages 162-4:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

So I took a few pictures of my 1931 Type I next to the 1924 Type X:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    win7stw likes this.
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

In every case the engraving on the 1924 shotgun is more ornate than the 1931. And of the pictures from SV, Type III is the only one with engraving on the barrel. It’s a shame we don’t have pictures of the rear of the receiver.

Anyway, as far I’m concerned, X = III.
  19. Biz

Biz 20g

Does that help you to reach a conclusion?
  20. Biz

Biz 20g

You answered the question when I was responding to your post