1919 16 Gauge Type III

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Oct 2, 2022.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well after wanting to cut this gun in half last night I took it hunting today. Went 4 for 4 with it. Ended the day with two huns, one pheasant, and one dove.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    recoil likes this.
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Don’t judge me for shooting the young rooster. I’m embarrassed to post it
  4. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Looks like gun fits! Nice! you won’t need all those other less pretty 16s, you know which one I would like to buy.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Is it one you passed on?
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

7. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

That one! Extremely nice rare example of what an American market sweet 16 should be. If that’s a numbers matching gun l believe it’s a 3k gun. It just doesn’t get much better than that for me. Well except maybe a prototype sweet.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

It is numbers matching!! Only problem with it is a cracked forearm. It’s too nice for me to refinish or reblue
  9. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Beautiful old gun! I love the engraving on this example - very crisp, yet elegant.
    My thought is - whatever appears 'incorrect' or 'imperfect' about an example becomes part of the history of the gun........including any 'attempt' to improve or perfect such details from here, forward.

There are very few guns that haven't been 'got-at'. If you can't live with certain details, then choose your craftsman, wisely.

Some really nice examples in this thread - Thanks for sharing - and good luck!
    Rudolph31 and win7stw like this.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Got to shoot it twice today and the gun did it’s part.
    [​IMG]
    Jta5er, Ranger6 and Rudolph31 like this.
  11. antman73

antman73 .410

Justin that is a beautiful Auto 5. I know you said it may have some wood issues but try not to change that look if you fix them. In my car circles we say “that thing looks fast even standing still!”
  12. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Yep, those birds should be proud to have been shot by a gun that good looking!
    win7stw, Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Off topic, but Paul Harrell recently compared the 16 to the 12 and found the 12’s advantage to be marginal. Then he shot clays and missed 3 times with his 12 and only once with the 16.

14. Biz

Biz 20g

Rudolph, are you going to do the test comparaison yourself? You may do better then him
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

No need for Rudolph to waste his time or ammo. We all know the 16 gauge is supreme
    Ranger6 likes this.
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’ve been doing pretty good with my 12’s. Now that I’m wearing a jacket I suppose it’s time to break out the 16’s again. The trouble is, you can’t horde ammo and shoot it too.
  17. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Without a doubt the 16 wins. It will carry like a 20 and hit like a 12.
  18. Biz

Biz 20g

I believe you guys lack objectivity. If you were not living in middle of nowhere, I would show you what a 12 gauge can do.
  19. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Ha, you know I can make those words of shame disappear!!!!
    Nah just a little fun, nothing wrong with the 12.
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Come on down to ND Marc. I’ll take you on a pheasant and you can use one of my 16’s.

While you are in the middle of nowhere maybe you could pick up a handgun or two…….too soon?