1911-380 Problem! Please help thanks!

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by JasonBrowning, Jun 11, 2019.

1. JasonBrowning

JasonBrowning Copper BB

Keep getting nose up jams! Happens on all 3 mags I have. All Browning mags. Seems to happen on the 2nd or 3rd to last round. Any info would help! Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don’t own a 1911-380 but I do have 3 1911’s. Most problems can be traced to the magazines. In your case I would guess the feed lips are too far apart and as the weight of the stack decreases, the mag spring is able to push the next round past them.

I finally replaced my 1911 mags with Wilson Combat and haven’t experienced any more jams. I don’t know if there are any after market mags for you but I’d look for some. I’d also call Browning and complain, and experiment with at least one of the 3 mags to try to make it work.

Good Luck!
  3. MCPO

MCPO Copper BB

No help in a solution to the problem.

I have 4 Factory mags and the 2 that came with the gun, plus one of the newer mags. will occasionally do the same exact thing. Mine are always the next to the last rd. Happens maybe once or twice every 3rd or 4th range trip (100 to 150 rds per range trip). It's not a consistant occurrence for me. Not ammo related as it has happened on Winchester, Remington and my reloads with Everglades FMJ rds..

Stretching the mag springs seemed to work for awhile, but the sporadic occurrences returned and stretching was a hit or miss solution so gave up on that. A stronger mag spring might solve it but only a guess and to my knowledge no one offers Mag springs for these guns but Remington.
  4. MutinousDoug

MutinousDoug .22LR

Refer to the "Browning 1911-380 Handgun troubleshooting" thread further down for pictures and a discussion of the problem you are having.

My Black Label suffered the same until I returned it to Browning where they exchanged magazines and replaced the barrel for one with a proper chamfer on the barrel hood. I can't tell for sure but your pic doesn't show much of a relief on the underside of the hood which looks like it's catching the nose of the bullet.

I've had very good reliability with lead or jacketed rnd nose or hollow points since the gun was returned to me.