1911-380 mags

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by Alpha1, May 12, 2023.

1. Alpha1

Alpha1 .410

If you have read my previous postings, almost all issues with the 380 can be corrected by a minor modification to the mag. Just to expand the fix, I will receive my 1911-380 Compact Pro and will modify the mags just like I did on my other 1911-380. I will keep you posted and comment on the fix again in a few days.
  2. JimCunn

JimCunn .270 WIN

But do not remove the exposed top loop on the mag spring. That will prevent the slide from locking back on the last round.
    Last edited: May 18, 2023
  3. Alpha1

Alpha1 .410

I never have stated in any of my comments to remove the coil. Indeed the coil does engage the lever lock to lock the slide open on the last round fired. My point is to reduce the exposure of the spring to approximately the diameter of the coil wire which is about .031. I have modified a number of mags and this works besides it solves the problem of FFT. If you don't have a FFT to feed issue then do nothing. However, you should only feel a slight resistance when you push the follower further in the mag. This is the only design I have seen in all of the 1911's I have owned or worked on and that goes back many years.
  4. JimCunn

JimCunn .270 WIN

Didn't say you did, but others have. They were wrong.
  5. Alpha1

Alpha1 .410

I think there might have been some confusion since the first mag mods were very experimental and in one experiment I did remove the exposed coil. However it was obvious it solved the FFT issue but not the locking lever issue. I am assuming that perhaps some owners did not read subsequent inputs I posted regarding reducing the coil exposure. If someone does not want to modify their mags so what? All I know after owning many many guns, if a gun does not shoot reliably 100% of the time it leaves my inventory. So if a persons gun shoots 100% of the time, leave it alone. If not, fix it or get another gun. Others many differ, that is their right.
  6. JimCunn

JimCunn .270 WIN

I tend to agree with that. I like these little guns. I have one 1911-22, and two 1911-380/22 convertibles that I usually shoot with the 22 slides installed. All five configurations took a bit of effort to make them dependable, but they have a nice feel and are well worth the effort. I think my next project is going to be converting some of the 8-round 380 mags to 10-round.
  7. Alpha1

Alpha1 .410

I just received my 1911-380 Compact Pro which is sort of an upgrade to the standard 1911-380 which I have. The tolerance on the Pro seem might tighter so I am expecting a break in period. I have modified the mags, cleaned and lubed the gun, and installed a full length recoil rod. I don't use buffers since when I did try one it got all wound up in the recoil spring. But I like your idea on the 1911-22 and I thing I will get one since I do not have any 22's and have a 22 in a 1911 frame really seems perfect. I hope to get to the gun range next week and submit a report on the Compact Pro.
  8. JimCunn

JimCunn .270 WIN

You'll need a 22 slide stop in addition to the 22 slide assembly. The ejector is also different, but the 380 ejector works fine with the 22 slide assembly.