16 gauge Frankengun

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Sep 9, 2022.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Traded a few boxes of Winchester CF ammo for this receiver and barrel awhile back. I thought I had all the internals but I ended up buying a two piece carrier. The trigger guard I had didn’t have the provisions to hold the carrier spring so I bought a 20 gauge trigger guard off Ebay. Installed a left handed safety for those of us that are right in the head. I know everyone here loves a square knob so I added that to this masterpiece. The barrel that came with the action has been shortened and is missing the bead so I had a custom sight installed. The installed barrel is one I had with an aftermarket vent rib and very aesthetically pleasing Weaver choke. And no it’s not for sale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

pretty nice, except for that left-handed shit. I don't mind the square knob, but the round looks better. That one has some nice grain to it. Do you know who makes that rib. It looks like my Citori 410 high post rib. I like it, you have done well sir. Now the real question can it bring home the pheasants?
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Part of the reason why I like the early guns is “suicide” safety’s because o am a left handed shooter. I hate the square knob but I found this one on eBay and was feeling like a good challenge with the crack. I believe it’s a Simmons rib.

The plan for this one is to have the receiver French grayed after the whole gun is reblued. I want to have a bead and thin wall chokes installed on the original matte barrel. I have plenty of stocks to refinish and use.

Then this will be my go to hunting gun that I can abuse and not feel bad about it. It should be fully capable of bringing home some roosters if I do my part.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Is it possible that that rib was installed from Simmons for Browning? I think I read somewhere that several manufacturers sent new guns to them to have ribs put on. Not certain but I think that rib was an option with that style of choke.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I don’t know anything about the Simmons rib. I was told by the guy that sold that barrel to me that it was an aftermarket rib