16 gauge FN Type 1

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Barrel says Remington Arms Ilion NY Browning patent. I am pretty sure it’s a 1906 Remington from the serial number. I agree with your assessment of value
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The seller thinks it’s a Browning. Maybe if you convince him otherwise he’ll drop the price.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I tried, showed him pictures of old Remington catalogs and serial number chart. He thinks because it’s over 100 years old it’s worth gold
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, they’re not rare. You’ll find another. I bought mine because it’s close to the first year Browning. Shortly afterwards a 1903 became available. Figures.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I notice it when I look at it. I don’t notice at all when I shoot it.

By the way, S/V doesn’t mention it, but there was a transition trigger that was more curved than the pre war (WWI) but less than those in use by the late 20’s. 1903 on top, 1924 middle, bottom is 1931.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    win7stw likes this.
  7. Biz

Biz 20g

The early R.A.S. ( Remington Autoloading Shotgun) are not rare, but the R.A.S. with the Remington and Browning marking on the side of the receiver are rare.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Good to know, I am heading to a gun show tomorrow. Hopefully I can score something good
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I didn’t know that. Thanks, Biz. The receiver on my 1908 R.A.S. is unmarked.

[​IMG]

What do you think the 1906 gun is worth?
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Beautiful gun, Biz. You should get a letter from Browning. Probably in 1939 a Canadian could just drive across the border and buy it in an American gun store. I’m curious to know where it first sold.

And, did you know you can get a magazine extension for it?

[​IMG]
  11. Biz

Biz 20g

Actually Rudolph, it will be a great idea to inquiry about the origin of the gun. How can I do that?
    Regarding the magazine extension, I didn’t know they were such thing. I even don’t know if the law allows us to purchase that. In any case, a magazine extension will be very practical if some American zombies decide to cross the border. Joke aside, how many more shells can you add with that extension?
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Call the Browning historian at 800-333-3288 and give him the serial number. He should get back to you in a few days with the date, location, and sales price. If you want a letter, that will cost you either $25 or $50, I forget.

The magazine extension adds 3 rounds for a total of 8. The manufacturer makes them up to 8 rounds but doesn’t recommend more than 4 for an Auto-5 because you can’t clamp it to the barrel. I bought a 3 because more than that seemed too much weight hanging unsupported. I use that gun for bowling pin competitions. And of course, Zombies.

win7stw likes this.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well I took the old girl out today grouse hunting. Didn’t find any birds but tried my hand loads and they cycled great through it.

Nothing that I couldn’t live without at the gun show. One nice X prefix Sweet Sixteen
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Glad the loads worked great! How did you deal with the crimps unfolding?
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I ran them through the final crimp again and put a little hot glue on them. Kind of tedious, wish I had some of the paper hulls like you have.

I ordered a case of Gamebore ammo and that worked well too
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Those paper hulls worked great. They even came primed and were already 65mm. I put a piece of tape on the first two stations of the MEC so I didn’t accidentally punch out the primer.

The downside is they probably shouldn’t be fired more than once. I’ve had a few case head separations which fortunately jammed the gun.

I’ll look into Gamebore. The name seems familiar but I didn’t know they had short 16 gauge ammo.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Yeah, I found them at Midway for the same price. Sure makes your reloading activity worthwhile. I’m surprised that they’re fold crimped but still hold one ounce.
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yeah they aren't cheap but I was kind of skeptical about my reloads at first.
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I will dissect one tonight and post what i find in it.
    Rudolph31 likes this.