12 ga. A5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by blackelim, Jan 23, 2020.

1. blackelim

blackelim .22LR

A few more photos... What do you guys think?

browning a5.jpg I am considering purchasing this A5, I only have a picture of the serial number and I have tried to look up the date of manufacture but I can't figure out the correct era. I emailed Browning and have not heard back from them yet.
    The shotgun is like new in browning case, any information would be appreciated.
    Hoping the experts here can help me out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The gun you are considering is a Standard 12 built in 1956
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

4. blackelim

blackelim .22LR

Thanks for the information guys!
  5. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

And with no overt cracks in the forearm.
  6. blackelim

blackelim .22LR

More photos added
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Buy that sucker
  8. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Yeah, that looks to be in REAL good condition, possibly unfired(?).

I would grab that thing up in a New York minute.
  9. blackelim

blackelim .22LR

Still negotiating the price.
    Here's a few more pictures
    cutts1.jpg cutts2.jpg
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

May I ask what he’s asking for it?
  11. blackelim

blackelim .22LR

This will be a long negotiation I am afraid. I will hopefully make an offer middle of Feb. It is hard to make an offer on this one, I have no real idea on the value.
    It is probably not fired, in a factory case with most paperwork. I would guess at least 90% condition.
    Anyone have a good starting point?
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

$1000? Hopefully the guys that have been collecting them longer than me will have a better idea
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

This one, in just about perfect condition, went for a little over $1000.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/852450894

The checkering on the pictured gun looks worn to me. And although I like Cutts Compensators, they lessen the collector value considerably. On the other hand, the Cutts comes with that cool boxed set of chokes, worth maybe $200. And the case is probably worth $250. So, $1000 for the works seems fair to me. Just my opinion.
  14. blackelim

blackelim .22LR

I have a question about the Cutts compensator. I think I have read that none were factory installed like on the Remingtons were the mount was made part of the barrel. Is it true that a FN Browning was sent to Browning USA and that if ordered with a Cutts it was installed in The USA and shipped for delivery. If so this would be as "factory installed" as possible. This one looks like it could be installed at Browning USA. the work is excellent and in comparison to the commercial mounts that I have seen installed the back shoulder is straight not beveled to meet the barrel.
    What do you guys know or think?
  15. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

The bible is a little vague about that. It does state A5s were sold "by Browning" with a Cutts installed. It mentions contacting Browning and having them determine if a particular unit had it installed by them. (For a fee apparently.) It does not state specific years, and says skeet models often had them. Poly Choke had authorized dealers that installed their devices, unsure exactly what Cutts did.
    I did read somewhere about having a different setting in regards to the spring/bronze friction ring/steel ring when running a Cutts. I don't remember where I saw that, but it was different from the customary light or heavy load setting. If you think about it, installing a device that reduces recoil will have a direct affect on an A5 cycling.
    win7stw likes this.
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

There’s a Remington instruction sheet from I don’t know what year and using I don’t know what friction pieces — they don’t look like Browning’s — that puts the Bronze piece behind the recoil spring. Browning specifically says never to do this.

On any Auto-5 or Model 11, you want the most friction the gun will operate with. Running the gun with too little friction is the best way I know of to destroy it. The tiny amount of weight added by a Cutts Compensator isn’t going to make a difference. It’s funny that sheet doesn’t mention operation with the similar Poly Choke. I have two Auto-5’s with Cutts and two with Polys. All four operate identically to those with plain barrels.

I wish that Remington sheet would disappear.
  17. blackelim

blackelim .22LR

Well we finally agreed on a price! Very favorable amount to me. I am not sure what to do with it now, shoot it ; showcase it? I can prove that it is not fired so I'm leaning to just using it.
    Thanks for the help and information.
    win7stw likes this.
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

what did you end up paying for it?

Shoot it!!!!
    Ranger6 likes this.
  19. blackelim

blackelim .22LR

Well under wholesale, a bargain no one would pass up.