Preserving a '61 and need a source for an "Old Style" Barrel Adjusting Ring

Discussion in 'Browning Semi-Auto 22 Rifle' started by ToolOrDie, Jan 2, 2023.

1. ToolOrDie

ToolOrDie Copper BB

Hey!
    I was passed down a '61 SA-22. Was so caked in carbon I was surprised it even cycled. Had minor rust in a few spots. I've currently got literally every single piece stripped (even the tiny rear sight parts). Boiled and carded everything to stop any rust and got the entire thing soaked in kerosine before I rebuild.

Everything went smooth except for removing the outer mag tube which was a freaking headache! I almost was convinced it was a LH thread because of the difficulty. I've used less torque to remove an AR barrel nut but thankfully nothing broke! Kroil for a few days seemed to do the trick.

So now my question...
    Anyone know where I could source an "Old Style" barrel adjusting ring? My dad must have cranked on it with some vise grips thinking it was how the rifle was taken down.

I've been looking everywhere for the last couple weeks for a replacement with no luck.

I have considered trying to file in the knurling to get rid of the damage and then re-bluing, but I figured I'd ask around.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Have you tried Arts gun shop?
  3. ToolOrDie

ToolOrDie Copper BB

Thats actually a good idea. I've watched his videos about a dozen times; i'm not sure why I didn't think to do that.

I'll give them a call!
    Ranger6 likes this.
  4. ToolOrDie

ToolOrDie Copper BB

UPDATE:
    So Art's was a dead end. I got an email saying they had one but when I called it they said they are increasingly hard to find. I set up a few eBay alerts, so hopefully I can find one.

I've got the backend of the gun done.

Ended up cleaning the teeth with a file and have been doing some slow rust blue on the knurling. Should blend well enough until I find another. Muzzle was also in the white from corrosion so I'm doing a touch up slow rust blue there as well.

I almost lost the rear sight tension spring in my garage while drifting it in. Ended up finding it on my floor after 45 minutes; so crisis averted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Dang that looks pretty good! Job well done. Good idea on eBay alerts, you never know what will show up on there. I have some alerts set up for 11-48 parts. Need some new springs that are hard to find. Something will show up eventually.
    ToolOrDie likes this.
  6. ToolOrDie

ToolOrDie Copper BB

Finished
    The original nut will get me by in the mean time until I find a new one. Slow rust blue is a little more grey than the salt blue but you'd have to have it pointed out to notice on the assembled rifle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  7. Ranger6

Nice work. Looks amazing. I hope to start my adventure in rust bluing this year. Not sure I have the patience but time will tell.
    ToolOrDie likes this.
  8. ToolOrDie

ToolOrDie Copper BB

This video was a great resource when I first started:

A $20 clothes steamer from amazon and a cardboard box makes the 1-2 days of rusting in-between coats only a 3-4 hours. If I rushed I could get things done in couple days vs a couple weeks.

Surprisingly one of the most annoying things is finding distilled water for the boiling/steaming. There is a massive shortage across the US for it.
    Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Beautiful work, congratulations.

You did a nice job on that part, if we’re me I’d keep it. But if you’re set on replacing it, my first stop would be MGW. They show it as discontinued, but if you call, they might have one sitting around.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/browning-semi-auto-22/barrel-adjusting-ring.html

My next stop would be Numrich Arms, but you’d most likely be getting a used part.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=#70580 Barrel Adjusting Ring 24

Incidentally, Numrich has a note by the new part that says it’s a substitute for the original style. For that, I’d ask Art.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/186210