Browning Double Auto

Discussion in 'Browning Double Auto' started by Rudolph31, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hey Bruski. Price is sounding better all the time. I would still be brazen and offer dealer $ 800 of your hard earned Kiwi coin. He won’t be selling any of it it that easy.
    If it is going to be a regular shooter on Clays n skeet at the range go the steel receiver as the extra weight lessens the recoil a bit and they swing evenly with more balanced weight between the hands. The alloy ones be nice to carry as a hunter and look great but they are bit light and whippy for my liking. A cutts on the barrel can also make them handle better if it feels tail heavy. And it looks period cool too.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

If anyone is looking or needing an extra Twelvette barrel (or two), I found a couple for sale in a gun shop in Pekin Illinois. (Just the barrels.) I didn't look to see what choke they were, and both were in pretty good condition, priced at about$250 or so.

Just in case someone was looking.
  3. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Info:
    There are two double-Auto's for sale on a local website ("Zidaho"), a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge.
    One is listed at $850, the other at $650 and I don't remember which one was which.

Just throwing it out there..................
  4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Thanks for posting this Bill . Not much ever gets put on site about double autos. I like them though. Always good to know what’s around DA wise on your side of the big pond , how much and where it might be good to go shopping sometime.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don’t think they ever made a 20 gauge DA. They DID make a light version called a TWENTY WEIGHT. Supposedly as light as a 20. I’m not sure how the barrels would differ.
    Crossfire Hurricane likes this.
  6. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

The Twelvette same deal but supposed to be lighter than a 16.
    Difference between a heavier Standard and the Twentyweight with same barrel spec roughly 1 lb 8 oz
  7. Bruski

Bruski .410

May have to revive this thread as am looking at a sweet twelvette. Butt ugly recoil pad and as yet unknown choking.
    Time will tell. (Still have the butt plate on the bookend so that will be able to make things look good).
  8. Bruski

Bruski .410

Dragged a couple of pictures up, any advise about markings or general comments welcome. 1719696892.jpg 1719697134.jpg
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Looks like a nice gun. The picture is a little too fuzzy to make out the choke. But one star is full, two is modified, and 3 is cylinder. A dash is improved. So IC would be **-.
  10. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hey Bruski,
    That looks a reasonable piece. The vent rib barrel is fairly rare not that many made especially if it’s a 30”. The channel or as I call them horseshoe rib if you see them is also very sought collectable people chase.
    Bit of length and weight up front make it handle good. If price is right and functions ok be good fun gun.
    Check the forend fit, pin and latching tension if loose or any movement. If loose adjust or fix before blazing away otherwise it splits the forend wood.
    Hope it finds a new owner
  11. Bruski

Bruski .410

It did...just wasn't me.
    Ahh well when one door closes...
  12. Hey Auzzie,
    Long time no talk to. How's everything going? My Twentyweight barrel works on the Twelvette just fine, but I had to shave a skosh outta the inside of the Twentyweight forend to make the Twelvette barrel fit. That's bcuz the Twelvette barrel is a little thicker than the Twentyweight barrel and would not fit in the forend without opening it up a little. Now they both interchange just fine. The Twelvette (l.) and Twentyweight (r.) are both from 1960. The Auto-5 is 1953.

upload_2023-7-18_20-22-47.jpeg
    Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windows 95
  13. Correct. Double Autos were only made in 12 ga.

Attached Files:

14. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Giday Crossfire,
    Yes been a while between chats
    So now your riding the highways with the twin DA,s one hanging out each saddle bag?
    Have you still been busting a few clays?
    That's interesting that the 20 g barrel fitted straight up. Any 12g I have come across over time the barrel forend iron just don't fit and is a precision hand fit for the individual action. The tolerances you see on light use DA are unbelievable neat fits as a rule.
    No wonder they say the most hand worked and fitted expensive production line FN ever had.
  15. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hey Crossfire post a close up image of the poly choke on the 12g for me Look.like a nice fit and match job to the rib.
  16. For some reason no filing on the barrel extension was needed. The only modification needed was to shave a skosh off the inside of the Twentyweight forend to make the Twelvette barrel fit due to it being a little thicker. I found out that the VR and Poly-Choke came from the factory that way and the barrel is original to the receiver. Maybe it was a special order or something, I dunno. BTW, the Twentyweight barrel is 12 ga., not 20. DA's were only made in 12 ga. Next time I take the guns out I'll post up a pic on how they go on the bike. Take care.
    Steve

upload_2023-7-20_6-34-18.jpeg
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2023
  17. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hi Crossfire,
    Neat job you have there for that barrel and Poly fit. I am always curious as there are a few variations and interpretations out there and in particular how they match the collar to the rib.. VR barrel in itself is rare.
    Yeah my mistake in your images the gun in RHS looks slightly smaller barrel diameter.
    Forgot about the twenty weight advert blurb. “ All that of 12 gauge in the weight of a twenty”
    I always wonder if the bike looks like a WW2 Stuka with the anti tank guns going down the road.
  18. That's funny about the Stuka. The way some folks drive around here I could use an M45 Quadmount. The Twelvette is 63-years-old and I don't know how many owners it has had but it's in really good shape for the age. I got it online for only $500 (about $740 Aus.). The price kept dropping (I'm pretty sure it was bcuz of the Poly) so I snatched it up at $500. As far as taking them on the bike, I remove the barrels and stuff everything in a pack. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it up.
    Steve

19. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

You got a good regular shooter in that one for $500. Yes I took mine to range yesterday not my go to, but managed to shoot some good skeet with it and really ball up some crossers on station 4 with the full choke.

You want to check up and keep an eye out for a B 2000 one day. . They are dirt cheap your side of the pond and are a great value for money shooter. They are in my eyes the next evolution of the DA on gas.
    Crossfire Hurricane likes this.
  20. Hey Auzzie,
    Headed out about 7:30 this morning (Sat.) and hit some pretty dense fog to start but it cleared up after about 20 minutes. As the crow flies it's about 44 miles (70 km?) to the range. But from where I live I can take some scenic highways and byways both coming and going. That makes it a good day with about 150 miles (240 km?) total on the bike. It's a small range with a total of 4 fields; 2 skeet and 4 trap. 2 of the trap fields overlay the 2 skeet fields. Sometimes on Saturday we get a few local high school trap team kids there for practice.

There is also a core group of die-hard trap shooters who have been doing this for years, along with some mediocre guys like myself. For some of those die-hards it is just as much a social club as it is a gun club. They get a kick outta me bringing my old Brownings while they shoot their fancy trap guns. As far as the bike goes, I break down 2 shotguns. The pack can also hold my range bag and 4 boxes of ammo. (I can take more but I only usually do 4, sometimes 5. The saddlebags hold sammies and drinks. The range pics were taken last fall.
    upload_2023-7-22_17-53-41.jpeg
    upload_2023-7-22_17-53-5.jpeg

upload_2023-7-22_17-52-21.jpeg
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
    Rudolph31, KyBoB and Auzzie like this.