X-bolt 25-06 hand loads

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Jtar78, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Jtar78

Jtar78 Copper BB

I have a new 25-06 xbolt and I’m having trouble finding a load it likes. I have tried several factory loads and I hover around 1.5-2 MOA. I have tried hand loads using hornady 117gr interlock with H4831, H4350, and IMR4955. The best I got was 1.5 MOA. I moved to 110gr Hornady Interbond with H4350, and H100V and still the best is 1.25 MOA. I have checked the scope and everything seems good with that. I want to stay around 110-120 gain bullet weight because this is primarily meant to be a whitetail gun. Anyone have any suggested hand loads for this caliber in that weight bullet? Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Your best MOA is plenty good for a deer riffle. You may be shooting your self in the fo0t, what's the twist? What you want and what the riffle wants may be two different things. How long is the barrel? What is your intended range? There are a lot of factors. Honestly I would start with some factory loads, different brands, different bullet weights not limited to 110-120 grain. Most factory riffles are gonna want a heavier bullet, things get real expensive when you wanna feed it hamburger when it wants steak.
    Hand loading for a riffle that your not gonna shoot over 3-400 yards, at a deer is probably a waste unless you just like to reload. Now if you can't find factory ammo, then you may not have another choice.
    win7stw likes this.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Have you tried different primers? Played with seating depth? I usually start my loads 2 thou off the lands. Have you tried doing a ladder test? How far are you shooting when you are determining your MOA? FWIW I can almost always get Nosler bullets to group very well. Love Accubonds
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

One more question. What are you using to throw and weigh your charges?
  5. Jtar78

Jtar78 Copper BB

The rifle has a 24” barrel and a 1:10 twist. I did start with factory loads and shot a variety of things. Different manufacturers and weights. The best I got from factory loads was about the best I got with hand loads. I just assumed I could do better. That’s the idea anyways, right?.?. I acknowledge that for a gun that will prob not be shot over 250 yards a 1.25” group at 100 yards is tolerable, however, it’s supposed to be a 1 MOA gun and I can’t leave well enough alone. Believe it or not I’ve had better luck finding reloading components than ammo.
  6. Jtar78

Jtar78 Copper BB

I have only used CCI LR primers. I have some Winchester LR primers and some Federal mag primers. I’ve considered trying that but haven’t yet. From what I’ve read the typical difference seen from changing primers is minimal, though I’ve never tried it myself. I did a ladder for seating depth and for charge weight. Started with seating depth of 20 thousandths off lands then loaded back in 30 thou increments. (.020, .050, .080). I took the best group from that and then did a charge weight ladder in .5 increments. All of my shooting is at 100 yards for now. I would prob consider paying double for .257 110gr accubonds right now but I can’t find them anywhere. All of my powder goes through a Charge Master Lite. I do spot check it from time to time on a balance scale or another digital. FWIW all of my brass is federal fire-formed brass.
  7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Jstar: well doing better with reloads then factory depends on a lot of things, especially if your shooting a good factory round. If your .25 off what it’s suppose to be then I would call it good, especially on a deer riffle where you have a lot of kill area. A simple .1 of a grain can make .25 difference or more. You, yourself can be the difference. The wind changing, the list goes on and on. For all you know that 1 MOA may have been tested under different conditions. I have seen a temp change in the weather make a huge difference. It takes a lot of work and if your happy with 1MOA, then another 1/4 or even a half won’t be worth the effort, unless you just enjoy that stuff as I do.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am here to tell you primers do make a difference. I’ve proven it with all things being equal by shooting over a chrono. I’ve had the best most consistent results with Federal primers. My good buddy only uses Fed 215’s in his 25-06. I think you are starting too far off the lands and going the wrong way. If they will fit in the mag box start them .002 off the lands. Without looking at my recipe I think my a-bolt 25-06 loves Reloader 22.

Sometimes it’s as simple as a poor bedding job. Action screws not being torqued correct. I agree that gun should do better
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

If you can find ballistic tips try them. if they group the Accubonds will
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

My 25-06 load data
    110 grain Nosler Accubond
    Fed 210M primer
    50.8 grains IMR 4831
    Winchester brass with shoulders bumped .001

My notes say this group measure .431 @ 100 yards
    Ranger6 likes this.
  12. Jtar78

Jtar78 Copper BB

Thanks for all the input. Hopefully I can get in the reloading room soon and see what I can come up with. I’ll keep you posted.
  13. MS9x56

MS9x56 .22LR

I load 120 grain A-frames for my sons 25-06 and they shoot right at MOA. Performance on game is impressive.