Damn it's quiet out here.

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by Bruski, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Bruski

Bruski .410

Anyone doing anything interesting with their Super's out there?
    Just picked up a '49 FN parts gun, full length stock so pretty much all I needed.
    Got a 26" M/F barrel and a bunch of other bits I've no use for but we see.
    Who doing what?
  2. Bruski

Bruski .410

001.JPG
    What? No one?
    Somebody must be doing something.
    Photo of work desk included for no real reason.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don’t own a Super, but I’ll enjoy looking at photos of yours. Especially if you show and explain what you’re doing while you’re working on them.
  4. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I was told decades ago by an experienced gunsmith (that actually wrote several books, BTW)----

If you soak one of those in a bucket of water long enough, it'll grown into an Auto5.
    That's what he said anyways......

Seriously, I admire the quality that went into those.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

there is always something going on my bench, right now its all reloading, but I have a couple of projects I need to get re-started on before they fall into never never land.
    And like rudolph31 I don't have any super's either, guess because they are not real common.
  6. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

I agree - it’s been a bit slow. ‘Haven’t acquired any new (old) Superposed in 4 years, now. ‘Not looking for anything in particular and abandoned the concept of a wish list, years ago. I’ve seen a couple of interesting guns but nothing that would top the last 3 I was lucky to find. I’ll know something fits when it strikes a passionate nerve.

In the meantime I’ve been trying to maintain my sanity and patience with 3 rather complicated restoration projects. The hardest part for me was finding the right person for the job. When somebody (#7) sits on your project for 6 months, takes a vacation every 5 weeks and can’t put you off any longer, then says, “I don’t think this gun will ever be what you hope it will be”, the best thing you can do is tell him to box it up and send it back.

Moving on, now - New guy that knows the right people and knows how to make things happen. Im on a new list, but had to start at the bottom again. Four months into this one, the gunsmith is about to take care of everything #1 either failed to address, or screwed-up. Then the frame goes to one engraver in the states (for touch-up) and the new replacement trigger guard goes to another in Belgium because he’s done so much to help me in the last 4 years, I wanted to give him some work. It all takes time.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  7. Bruski

Bruski .410

Well, just finished inletting the new stock (1949) for the old receiver (1934).
    Am happy with the end result. Didn't think about the difference involved between twin singles and SST wood fitting.
    Just need to open up bolt hole to 12mm and then time to test.
    If good then strip fore end and match to stock.
    Work desk currently awash with chisels, screwdrivers and candle stumps.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  8. Biz

Biz 20g

Just to spice up the discussion.
    I am a Browning auto-5 collector and I hope I will not jump into superposed world. Browning addiction is very bad for the budget.
    Here is my two lovely superposed, I cherish them.
    First month 0f production and 1959 Félix Funken.
    B99BF673-C138-412D-81C9-70586D2AD992.jpeg 1F6EBDC1-A052-4445-BE0E-B3EC29209808.jpeg 619922BA-0010-459E-B785-B169BAB6DC32.jpeg
    67848A1A-484A-4D35-8274-593EAEB4D571.jpeg
    I think is ready to go
    win7stw and Rudolph31 like this.
  9. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Very nice sir, sure like that engraving. Beautiful
  10. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Nice pre-war, Biz. That IS a low serial number. Really nice condition! Congratulations!

Nice Gr III, too. The wood is exceptional . 1959 would be the earliest year Funken allowed his more-advanced students to sign their own work. This one may have been engraved by Lea Van Laar (the eyes of the dog and pheasants are the most difficult detail to perfect), yet Funken signed her work. I have a 1958 FN B2 (the equivalent of the Browning Gr III) signed by Funken, yet I believe it was engraved by Van Laar, also.

As you may know, Van Laar became the Chief of female engravers (gravueses) around late 1959, or early 1960. The Gr III is fascinating to me - each example is unique because of the different engravers' personal touch.

Nice dog (real), too!

Thanks for sharing all. I don't collect Auto-V's but I've had a couple over the years.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Marc those are beautiful. I hope I can avoid going down the Superposed rabbit hole. When do you start goose hunting?
  12. Biz

Biz 20g

The season open officially monday but I waiting for the farmer to cut is oats. How about the pheasant season?
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Dove opened yesterday here but I’m stuck at home schooling my boys. I’m officially cleared to go back out in the real world tomorrow. Grouse and partridge opens on the 11th. Pheasant opens October 9th. I can’t wait to get out and shoot some holes in the sky.
  14. Ranger6

I think taking the boys out for a hunting lesson is acceptable schooling in my book. When I was in school, the whole week of deer season school was closed, cause the school knew no one would be there anyway.
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

If it wasn’t pouring here the three of us would be out dove hunting today. The rain is very much appreciated though